• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hell hath no fury...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doctorinthehous

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State.

I have a friend (really, this is NOT for me) who was in his 3rd year of med school. He was living with his already-graduated but younger girlfriend, who had a job at a local hospital, and whom I also know. They shared for a time hospital housing. She was madly in love with him.

But this friend can be a jerk. He started getting bossy, then controlling, and they had some very loud arguments. He moved out.

At some point, she seems to have snapped. Suddenly, she told me she was getting an order of protection from him. He had not done anything physical to her, but she was convinced -- this woman is now a doctor, remember, and he is a 3rd year med student who actually has practiced medicine in another country -- that he had poisoned her on several occasions. A whole battery of tests failed to show any evidence of this, and the court denied the order of protection she sought.

Unfortunately for him, she had the legal papers for the order-of-protection (including the poisoning episodes) served at his med school. When they learned of the impending Order and expected criminal action that never happened, he was dismissed.

He is now homeless (I see him up at Starbucks), sleeps in his car, and is a broken and bitter man, albeit a jerk. He's given my address out, so the police came looking for him at my house. Terrific.

Some of the evidence certainly looks very fishy -- she was after all supporting him, and he convinced her to take out a $1.5 million life insurance policy on her own life with HIM as the beneficiary. Then he told her to make sure that if she was ever admitted to the Emergency Room, she would put his name down as the person to contact. A light went off, she thought about vague symptoms she'd felt when they would have these big fights, and she bounced the theory off her mother. Boom, lawsuit.

I told him I didn't believe the accusations she was making, and I don't. If you want to kill someone, you don't fight with them. After they're dead, you don't want to look like it was you. This is how they do it on TV, anyway. Makes sense.

As a Christian, I cannot turn my back completely on this jerk. (He has done some rude things to me, and they both owe me money.) Still, I am sure he has a very solid case against the med school. There were no performance issues, and he worked very, very hard those first 3 years. It was simply a matter of breaking the school's "code of ethics", based solely on her claims. She is a graduate of the same med school She is not merely vindictive. She genuinely believes he tried to kill her, plus he is stalking her, etc.. I do believe she is a little nuts. And although I'm fond of her, what she's done is terrible.

Remember those Duke University kids who were accused of rape? They were doing jerky things too. But that was beyond the pale. The woman made up the whole story. They sued in N.C. But they were loaded to begin with. And at least one parent was a lawyer.

What do you think this guy can do? Remember, the guy is homeless (and I will not let this jerk live with me -- I need that like a hole in the head). In a perfect world, he would be allowed to return to med school, the med school would compensate him for the year he lost and the stupid thing they did (not necessarily a lot), she would be sued for defamation of character, and he would pay me back my $700. OK, I can live without the $700. Location: Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County, Long Island, NY.

Last edited:

quincy

First, as much as I like to imagine we live in a perfect world, we don't.

I doubt very much that your homeless friend will be accepted back into the medical school that dismissed him, and I doubt very much that your homeless friend will be compensated by the medical school for the year he has lost at the school, and I doubt very much that your homeless friend has a defamation suit against his ex-girlfriend that could be successful, and I doubt very much that your homeless friend will pay you back the $700 he owes you. ;)

If you can live without the $700 he owes you, and because you feel you cannot turn your back entirely on your homeless friend, perhaps you can live without an additional couple hundred dollars, and purchase for your homeless friend a few hours of an attorney's time. The attorney can review all of the facts and determine if these facts can support a suit against the man's ex-girlfriend and/or the med school. Another option is to locate for your homeless friend the closest law school clinic, legal aid clinic, or an attorney who offers free legal assistance, and your friend can drive his "home" to one of these locations for a discussion of the facts.

Or your friend could simply apply to other medical schools if he is sincerely interested in getting a medical license. If his medical school record is impressive and the order of protection was never initiated and nothing came of any charges against him, then an application could be accepted. Or he could return to the country where he practiced previously and he can practice medicine there until he can earn enough money to return to the U.S. if he chooses and then he can pay for decent housing.

But, from this distance and given the facts as presented by you here, I am not seeing any suit against either the med school or the ex-girlfriend that has any chance of success. An attorney in your friend's area can determine this better.

Good luck to your friend, his ex-girlfriend, you, and the world in general.

Last edited:

antrc170

Most schools have a "code of conduct" that is vague and generally allows them the loopholes to dismiss anyone who they feel would damage their repuatation. That is the schools choice.

If you don't need your money, then why not help your friend find another medical school to accept his transfer preferably in a town distant from your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">