• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, please. Question about a threatened law suit being attempted by an unstable ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleighr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I broke off a relationship with my boyfriend, whom I met online but had not yet met in person, because a number of things made me aware of the fact that he was mentally unstable and obsessive. Included in these facts were: He admitted to having rape fantasies, he stated that he felt that violent tendencies were best channelled into sex; an ex of his had taken out a restraining order on him in the past. He also had a number of bizarre delusions; for instance, he believed himself to be a god in human form, and had created and destroyed entire universes-- not just in some distant past, but in the present. When I broke off the relationship in an email that explained how I felt he was being obsessive, and did not want to hear from him again, he responded by tracking me down in various places online as well as sending me numerous letters/postcards/etc in traditional mail. I posted a blog to my Live Journal, which I had never shown him or given him the web address to, stating that I had broken up with my boyfriend because of his obsession, that he was beginning to stalk me, and that I was glad I'd ended it before something bad happened. I didn't use his name anywhere in the blog, in that entry or any others. He found the blog somehow; now is threatening to sue me for libel if I don't retract these statements.

quincy

Then perhaps you may want to consider retracting the statements?

I suggest you don't post anything about him again and I suggest you do not respond to any of his communications and I suggest you block his emails and change your settings on Live Journal and elsewhere so that he has a more difficult time stalking you online.

Then I recommend that you take all that you have received from this ex-boyfriend (all emails, all letters, all postcards) to the police and file a report.

You were probably not real wise to give someone that you have only met online your home mailing address. I hope you live in a different area/state than this guy - that reduces a bit the risk of harm that may come from your relationship with this character. And, if you start to fear for your physical safety, call the police immediately and look to getting a restraining order.

I would say libel is the least of your worries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">