• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA/ARC Threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ARC Chairman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I serve as the volunteer Chairman for the ARC committee in our neighborhood. I was asked to visit a home with President of the HOA for a violation he observed. No one answered the door and we promptly left. The President (not me) then sent a letter of notification that he was in violation of HOA policy. The resident has emailed multiple times threatening that he will hold anyone that enters his lot or knocks on his door at gunpoint and release his german shepherds on them. He mentions me specifically by name in the next paragraph of his diatribe, and slanders my name calling me unprofessional, etc...in all follow up emails. Is there any recourse have to him cease and desist, or file suit for mental anguish? I do fear for my safety. Thanks for your feedback.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I serve as the volunteer Chairman for the ARC committee in our neighborhood. I was asked to visit a home with President of the HOA for a violation he observed. No one answered the door and we promptly left. The President (not me) then sent a letter of notification that he was in violation of HOA policy. The resident has emailed multiple times threatening that he will hold anyone that enters his lot or knocks on his door at gunpoint and release his german shepherds on them. He mentions me specifically by name in the next paragraph of his diatribe, and slanders my name calling me unprofessional, etc...in all follow up emails. Is there any recourse have to him cease and desist, or file suit for mental anguish? I do fear for my safety. Thanks for your feedback.
I would report these threats to the police.

justalayman

Calling you unprofessional is slander? (Actuslly libel if it was written)

it's opinion so no, it is not defamation?

I would also suggest you take his warning as a warning to not trespass upon his property. I would make all communications via some written form, preferably snail mail.

quincy

I serve as the volunteer Chairman for the ARC committee in our neighborhood ... He mentions me specifically by name in the next paragraph of his diatribe, and slanders my name calling me unprofessional, etc...in all follow up emails. Is there any recourse have to him cease and desist, or file suit for mental anguish? I do fear for my safety. ...
The homeowner called you "unprofessional, etc ..." What exactly was the "etc?" Being called unprofessional in your role as a volunteer chairman of the committee would not be defamatory.

Here is a link to a good overview of Florida's defamation laws, from the Digital Media Law Project's website: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/florida-defamation-law

The threats, as others have said, can be reported to the police if you fear for your safety. The homeowner could potentially be charged with a second degree felony for communicating these threats.

Here is a link to the law that may apply to the written threats you received: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=threats&URL=0800-0899/0836/Sections/0836.10.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">