• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

housing administrator makes fun of senior citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

There is no case based on the limited amount of information provided here, at any rate. ;)

et1119, I noticed that you started another thread in the Elder Law section of the forum, and that is probably the best place for your questions and concerns to be addressed.

You mention in that thread that comments were made about your mother by the administrator of the senior citizen building where your mother resides. The administrator apparently sent a letter to others calling your mother an "old bag" and stated that your mother "made her sick."

These are not defamatory statements. These are "opinions." People are allowed to express opinions, even when the opinions are nasty and hurtful. Therefore, the comments made by the administrator of the senior citizen building, if what you related in your other thread is the extent of the comments she made, cannot lead to a successful defamation suit against the administrator.

However (and this information will probably be provided to you in your other thread as well), I believe you should report this administrator and file a complaint. While opinions can be expressed freely, the opinions expressed by this administrator need to be addressed.

This administrator should be helping to protect the elderly from abuse (including verbal abuse), and the administrator should be helping the elderly residents preserve their personal dignity. She should not publicly make "humiliating" and "emotionally devastating" comments about the seniors living in the building.

You may find some help in addressing this matter through resources available at the following site, or you can call the number provided, and then wait for those better versed in elder law than I am to assist you in the other thread you started. The Maryland Long Term Care Ombudsman Program can be contacted to help you resolve the issues your mother is having in the building where she lives.

http://www.dhr.state.md.us/oas/protect.htm or call 1-800-91-PREVENT

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no case based on the limited amount of information provided here, at any rate. ;)

et1119, I noticed that you started another thread in the Elder Law section of the forum, and that is probably the best place for your questions and concerns to be addressed.

You mention in that thread that comments were made about your mother by the administrator of the senior citizen building where your mother resides. The administrator apparently sent a letter to others calling your mother an "old bag" and stated that your mother "made her sick."

These are not defamatory statements. These are "opinions." People are allowed to express opinions, even when the opinions are nasty and hurtful. Therefore, the comments made by the administrator of the senior citizen building, if what you related in your other thread is the extent of the comments she made, cannot lead to a successful defamation suit against the administrator.

However (and this information will probably be provided to you in your other thread as well), I believe you should report this administrator and file a complaint. While opinions can be expressed freely, the opinions expressed by this administrator need to be addressed.

This administrator should be helping to protect the elderly from abuse (including verbal abuse), and the administrator should be helping the elderly residents preserve their personal dignity. She should not publicly make "humiliating" and "emotionally devastating" comments about the seniors under her care.

You may find some help in addressing this through resources available at the following site or you can call the number provided, and then wait for those better versed in elder law than I am to assist you in the other thread you started. The Maryland Long Term Care Ombudsman Program can be contacted to help you resolve the issues you are having.

http://www.dhr.state.md.us/oas/protect.htm or call 1-800-91-PREVENT (383)
The last I checked, free speech was still allowed in this country. Now, if you are suggesting that policies were violated, I suspect you are probably right. But I don't see a law that was violated.

quincy

I think I suggested that, based on the information provided, there is no defamation action available and that what was said (if what was quoted by et1119 is all that the administrator said) can be said legally. It is opinion.

I do not see that any law was violated either.

But I still believe that this is a matter that needs to be addressed - just not through a lawsuit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think I suggested that, based on the information provided, there is no defamation action available and that what was said (if what was quoted by et1119 is all that the administrator said) can be said legally. It is opinion.

I do not see that any law was violated either.

But I still believe that this is a matter that needs to be addressed - just not through a lawsuit.
Agreed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">