• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get a court order to remove slanderous comments from a website?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uncool

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi. A post at the complaints forum was made about me & my hobby business I run but was completely false and a lie. The owners of the site said they only remove content with a court order. I don't want to have to hire an attorney if I know how to file the court order myself.

Also, is it possible to obtain the user's email, ip address, etc (who posted the lies) with a subpoena? How else would I go about doing that? I may try to sue for defamation of character since everything he wrote is a lie (at which, yes, I will probably have to hire a lawyer).

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

quincy

If you have already asked the website to remove the content and they will not do it without a court order, you must file an ex-parte motion seeking a subpoena, compelling the ISP to remove the objectionable content and disclose the identity of the "complainer." Ex-parte simply means that the court will consider your motion without hearing from the other party.

A court order is necessary because federal law prohibits an ISP from disclosing the identity of a subscriber unless it does so pursuant to a court order and the subscriber is notified.

ISPs can generally determine the identity of an online poster by tracing the internet protocol address - which is a unique electronic number identifying the computer that is connected to the internet. With an IP address, and the date and time of the posting, an ISP can identify almost any of its subscribers. With a court order to reveal the identity of the subscriber, the ISP must comply.

In order to get a court order, however, you often must file suit first. When a court is satisfied by your pleadings or the evidence supplied that you have a legitimate good faith basis for a suit and that the other party's identity is required in order to advance the claim, then the court will issue the subpoena. Because defamation is (generally) a state claim brought in a state court, court procedures for obtaining a subpoena will vary a bit from state to state, and even from court to court within the state.

Not all derogatory speech is defamatory, however, and not all lies that are posted on the internet are actionable. True statements and pure opinion that does not imply false fact are legitimate defenses to a defamation action. You should have an attorney review the complaints made to see if, first, you have any action and, second, if you do have an action, to see if the action is worth pursuing. Defamation lawsuits are expensive, especially when they involve anonymous posters on the internet, and you should have demonstrable reputational injury and a solid case before proceeding.

If you received an email from this poster, by the way, it is sometimes possible to determine his identity by the header. This can take some expertise if the sender tried to disguise the origin of the email and his identity, and it is often time-consuming, but it is often possible.

One other avenue you might want to explore is sending an attorney's cease and desist letter to the poster, demanding that the defamatory content be removed or legal action may be pursued. If you have no email or other address for him, you can have the attorney send the cease and desist to the webhost for forwarding to the poster. Or sometimes the cease and desist can be posted on the site where the original defamatory material appeared - notifying the poster that if he does not remove the material, he may be sued.

However, I recommend you consult with an attorney prior to taking any of the steps above. If you have only one complaint among many positive postings, it could have little impact on you or your business. In fact, many times the person doing the complaining comes out looking a lot worse than the person he is complaining about. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

uncool

Thanks for that response. I think you're right in that it will end up costing more to find/trace the IP, go to court, pay lawyer fees, lose work time, etc since what he posted is not as damaging though it is false and a lie. It's probably not worth it to pursue any further.

As far as contacting the site [complaints board] to remove it... The anonymous poster (although I know who did it) posted my personal home address, phone number, my full name, and also my wifes full name (who is unrelated with this matter). This angered my wife and she also felt threatened that our personal address was public. It's scary if you can google her full name and the address is shown... not good!

My initial email to the site expressed this. they have complied and removed our personal info (after I initially saved the listing), but have left her name in the complaint (I wanted the whole bogus claim removed). My wife is unrelated to the business yet they won't remove it. Several emails later they responded saying to contact the person who posted the original complaint and if that person doesn't remove it... they'll take it down in 5 days. I guess thats better than nothing, right?

...sorry, got a little sidetracked, but I have a few followup questions. As for a cease and desist, would a lawyer need to draft it up or is it possible to write one myself (with the help of the internet). This is just for future reference in case something like this happens again. A cease and desist is like a 'warning or else' type of action, right?

quincy

A cease and desist letter can be drawn up by anyone, and there are sample C&Ds available to use that can be found online. However, if you were to send a cease and desist personally, it is not nearly as effective as it would be coming from an attorney. If an attorney sends a cease and desist, the recipient is informed not only that you may pursue legal action, but that you have already contacted an attorney about such action.

Either way, however, a cease and desist, which is like a heads-up warning of legal action that may be pursued if the demands outlined in the letter are not met, is still just a letter and can be ignored by the recipient. It is just less likely to be ignored if it comes from an attorney.

Names and addresses and phone numbers are generally available in many places and in many forms already and are considered, for the most part, public information. All I need to do is pick up a phone book and have access to the names, addresses and phone numbers of everyone in the metropolitan Detroit area. :)
Publication of this information, though, is probably against the terms of service of the site in question and removal, therefore, can be requested and, generally, the request will be granted.

There have been cases brought over the online publication of names and phone numbers and addresses in the past, and at least one that I know of was decided in the Plaintiffs' favor. It really depends on where the publication occurs and in what sense this information is used when determining whether an action can be successful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">