• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't know what to do.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anthonym099

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois

I'll give you a full detailed report of what's actually going on here. I have yet to file any abuse reports or anything like that yet. Wondering what i can do though. My ex logged into my aol account via falsifying my information. She typed in my last four digits of my social security number to gain access to the account. Then went on to facebook requested my password, gained access to that account deleted all of my personal photos and posted this word for word "You're a ******" from her profile then posted on mine "i'm a ******" Also stating that she "ripped everything i had left at her house into pieces" then uploaded a few pictures of her own with comments like "tee hee" and I assume she's taking other accounts i don't know about but i have yet to find out. No threats yet but I have no clue what to do, or if i can do anything at all. I'm living in the state of illinois, and she is living in the state of oregon I assume this is an internet crime. I have taken screen shots of all the abuse she's done. I could upload them but i don't know if i should do that either. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

justalayman

sounds like a bunch of kids fighting.

How did she have access to your AOL password? If you gave it to her, it really kills your claims.

simple action:

change your passwords to ALL of your accounts, pages, whatever, to something she isn't going to guess. remove the objectionable stuff from your Facebook page.

move on with life. She really hasn't done anything harmful to you and trying to do anything to her would be more trouble, even if you were successful, that it is worth.

anthonym099

ok

no i didn't give her the information, we lived together for a year and she had access to everything i assume. but isn't that considered falsifying information or impersonating somebody ?

anthonym099

sorry

i didn't read your post clearly, i didn't give her the password, she got into my email via using "forgot my password" which she had to use the last 4 digits of my social security number to get.

anthonym099

done what you asked

I changed all passwords somehow or another though she got back into them and changed my alternate email to hers, so now all i have access to is my facebook account. I no longer have access to my aol account since she has changed the secret question. I know theres gotta be some law or something. You just can't go around stealing peoples accounts for no reason. My google adsesnse is attached to that email along with my domains.. that i OWN. god knows if she changed that information as well..

quincy

Under Illinois' Computer Crime Prevention Law (ILCS 5/16-1 et seq)), your ex has committed, at the very least, a Class B misdemeanor for computer tampering.

Because your ex lives in Oregon and you live in Illinois, you may find taking any legal action against her is not worth the time, trouble or expense, as justalayman noted.

However, you can have an attorney in your area draft a letter to your ex advising her that she has committed a crime in Illinois by accessing your computer without authorization and by altering information on your computer. Advise her, in the letter, that any subsequent offense could be charged as a felony. Advise her that if she does not remove all unwanted data from your accounts, return control of the accounts to you, and then immediately cease all further activity on your account, legal action against her will be taken.

You could also file a police complaint against her.

All states now have computer crime laws. It is illegal in all states to access another's computer without authorization. The comparable Oregon statute is ORS §164.377.

justalayman

question for you quincy. It would appear the gal did not access the OP's computer but only online "accounts". Change anything?

I no longer have access to my aol account since she has changed the secret question.
you call them on the phone. If they will not correct the situation, you cancel the account right after setting up a hotmail, live. or some other account and transferring the links to the new site.

quincy

It doesn't change anything.

To access a computer means to "use, instruct, communicate with, store data in, retrieve or intercept data from, or otherwise utilize any services of a computer," with "services" including data manipulation.

Computer tampering is to access without authorization another's computer (or any part thereof), or a program or data, and/or obtain data and services, and/or alter, delete or remove data from another's computer without authorization.

This appears to be what anthony's ex has done.

Under 16 D-7 of the Illinois law, it states: "In the event that a person accesses or causes to be accessed a computer, which access requires a confidential or proprietary code which has not been issued to or authorized for use by that person, a rebuttal presumption exists that the computer was accessed without the authorization of its owner, or in excess of the authority granted."

I agree that the self-help steps you outlined earlier, justalayman, would all be wise steps to take, to prevent unauthorized access to online accounts in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">