• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'd like to report a situation and I want to make sure I am not committing a crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wandaliz09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I broke up with my fiancee and just cancelled wedding plans because of a text message he received from a former co-worker. Although he denies that anything ever happened other than an "excessive amount of calls" between two good friends, her text said "I don't know why you have your cell phone off, I love you"; he said he was shocked to see it too. I did notice that 80% of the calls were originated by her, during work hours where she is a teacher....during work hours (I believe). I want to send copies of the cell phone bills (given to me by my fiancee) because I can see that she was constantly harrasing him...Is this against the law? I am only asking the School District to investigate this calls, not mentioning her name or anything. I just want answers, but I don't want to be sued.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I broke up with my fiancee and just cancelled wedding plans because of a text message he received from a former co-worker. Although he denies that anything ever happened other than an "excessive amount of calls" between two good friends, her text said "I don't know why you have your cell phone off, I love you"; he said he was shocked to see it too. I did notice that 80% of the calls were originated by her, during work hours where she is a teacher....during work hours (I believe). I want to send copies of the cell phone bills (given to me by my fiancee) because I can see that she was constantly harrasing him...Is this against the law? I am only asking the School District to investigate this calls, not mentioning her name or anything. I just want answers, but I don't want to be sued.

What is it you wish to accomplish?

I understand that you're angry, but trying to get her into trouble isn't going to help you get over the break-up.

Also, I'm not seeing where this constitutes harassment. Evidently your ex-fiance was at least somewhat complicit...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You would not be committing a crime, but the chances that the school district will investigate the calls and report back to you is something less than zero. You have NO legal standing to receive that information.

wandaliz09

What is it you wish to accomplish?

I understand that you're angry, but trying to get her into trouble isn't going to help you get over the break-up.

Also, I'm not seeing where this constitutes harassment. Evidently your ex-fiance was at least somewhat complicit...

I understand that I am very angry and I am not excusing him at all. (Which is the reason why I broke up with him). I want sweet revenge....without breaking the law. Do I sound like a horrible person? Maybe, but right now I am dealing with a kid who ran away from my house because he doesn't want me to leave him, and he hates me now for not believing him. He is failing in school and this is his senior year. Christmas has been ruined not only for me but also for my kids who grew up with him....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As I said, you will not be breaking the law, but you have little to no chance of the school district doing anything with your complaint except filing it in the circular file. They have bigger issues to deal with than your desire for revenge.

Eekamouse

Is trying to get your ex-fiance's girlfriend in trouble at her job going to make your child bring his grades back up and not hate you anymore and make this your most awesome Christmas ever? No? I didn't think so. You trying to get her in trouble at her job is flat out despicable. It wasn't her that was cheating on you. She's the wrong person to take your anger out on. Why not just leave her out of it and be angry at the person who betrayed you?

wandaliz09

Yes, you are totally right. I should not be angry or wanting to seek revenge. I guess I will have to hope that her husband sees her cell phone bill before X-mas.

Thanks for the advice.

Banned_Princess

I understand that I am very angry and I am not excusing him at all. (Which is the reason why I broke up with him). I want sweet revenge....without breaking the law. Do I sound like a horrible person? Maybe, but right now I am dealing with a kid who ran away from my house because he doesn't want me to leave him, and he hates me now for not believing him. He is failing in school and this is his senior year. Christmas has been ruined not only for me but also for my kids who grew up with him....
Well then I suggest you re-think your reaction to this.

the crime to punishment ratio here sounds way off, yes, you look really bad. I think the most appropreate response would be for you to contact the woman, tell her you know everything, and to leave your husband alone.

then go on with the wedding. I mean even from here he sounds like he wasnt trying to hide anything, he was being stalked, and he is sorry. Why throw away a lifetime of relationship over a crazy woman?

Eekamouse

I suspect you will do everything in your power to see that he does and once that happens, well, I'm sure you'll feel lots better and all your problems will be solved.

Banned_Princess

Yes, you are totally right. I should not be angry or wanting to seek revenge. I guess I will have to hope that her husband sees her cell phone bill before X-mas.

Thanks for the advice.
well there you go. send him a nice xmas card that includes some of the cell phone bill.

forgive your soon to be husband.

Happy holiday.

Proserpina

Yes, absolutely.

Go ruin her husband's life too.

Nice.

I guess the concept of "be the better person" is completely alien to some people.

Banned_Princess

Well, the womans husband should know. and a better person would not allow a man to continue thinking he was in a comitted relationship with a loyal woman.

The Occultist

Harassment? Really? At any point, did your ex-fiancée request this person to stop communicating with him? If not, then there is no harassment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">