• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it Illegal to check someone's else email?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maniac1129

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am not sure where to post this, so if I am wrong please forgive me.

Earlier I checked someones' (someone who I am no longer friends with) email with out permission, I know the password as I helped them set up the email, this was done from home. Just to be clear I did not "hack" or use any other program to get access. I simply knew the password and logged in.

Now though I am worried. I really have two questions.

1. I know its morally wrong and a violation of one's privacy, but is it illegal?

2. If caught what is the punishment if any?

Thanks

Last edited:

quincy

The "invasion of privacy" part IS the illegal part.

If caught, your ex-friend could potentially sue you, but it does not seem likely, as the cost of the suit would probably far exceed any damages awarded, if any are.

My advice is don't get caught and don't do it again and, if your ex-friend finds out, apologize profusely and advise your ex-friend to change the password.

cyjeff

I want to add to quincy's excellent advise by saying... it also depends what you did while in the account.

Reading it is one thing...impersonating the person by emailing others from that account is another.

When you went into the account, what did you do?

maniac1129

I did not send any email from the account, I was just snooping really. I only deleted one draft email by accident though (I was not too familiar with the web mail setup)

quincy

I wouldn't worry about it, then.

The ex-friend probably won't notice, you probably won't get caught and, hopefully, you are a lot smarter now than you were then, so you won't do it again. :)

(good question, by the way, cyjeff)

cyjeff

I wouldn't worry about it, then.

The ex-friend probably won't notice, you probably won't get caught and, hopefully, you are a lot smarter now than you were then, so you won't do it again. :)

(good question, by the way, cyjeff)
I agree. You are probably okay if you don't do it again and never mention it to anyone.

You dodged a bullet. Don't stand in front of the target a second time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">