• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Recording of Private Conversation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suntzu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state is Arkansas

I have a friend who plays an online game pretty religiously. Recently he was in a voice communication in the game chat channel with a group of pretty hostile player. They made fun and belitttled him pretty intensely and to make matters worse one of them even surreptitiously recorded the voice communication without consent.

The culprit then proceeded to post a youtube link of it in the game's online forum. My question is isn't this downright illegal? Which authorities do we report to in order to press charges? Thanks in advance

FlyingRon

First, Arkansas is a one-party consent state. He doesn't need your consent, just his own.

Second, unless the chat channel was sufficiently private that other players weren't able to hear it, you don't have any expectation of privacy and the statutes don't apply.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state is Arkansas

I have a friend who plays an online game pretty religiously. Recently he was in a voice communication in the game chat channel with a group of pretty hostile player. They made fun and belitttled him pretty intensely and to make matters worse one of them even surreptitiously recorded the voice communication without consent.

The culprit then proceeded to post a youtube link of it in the game's online forum. My question is isn't this downright illegal? Which authorities do we report to in order to press charges? Thanks in advance
Most "belittling" comments will not be defamatory comments. Insults are a form of free expression and, although not necessarily a nice form of communication, they rarely cross the line to illegal speech.

Were all of the players in this game from Arkansas, or are the players spread throughout the country? The "culprit" who recorded the voice communication could potentially have violated recording laws in his own state.

You would not, by the way, "press charges." If the fellow violated any recording laws in his state, you could report the illegal recording to the proper authorities in his state and they might, or might not, decide to pursue charges against him. Your friend could contact YouTube and request the removal. That could work to get the recording pulled.

It might be smart for your friend to find a different group of online friends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">