• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hikitu22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Nevada.

I was wrongfully termiated from my job.I filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board. The case went to trial and i won.Before the trial, the owner of the company went on record in the newspaper and television saying i was caught breaking into and going through personnel files.This was completely untrue and the owner admitted this in court.He said he was misled by upper management.Now whenever i return to this town(las vegas) people i previousely work for ask me about being caught breaking into personnel files.There was never a correction made in the paper or on tv.Now my integrity and reputation are in question with those who don't know the truth.Is this a good libel case?

quincy

Probably not. But you may want to consult with an attorney in your area and review with him all of the facts. It is possible this attorney will think there is an action you can pursue.

You may also want to approach the editor of the newspaper and/or the news director for the tv station that ran the original story where the owner of the company was quoted. They may consider doing an "update" on the story (depending on how long ago this occurred).

The statute of limitations for a defamation action in Nevada (the time within which a suit must be filed) is two years from date of first publication of the defamatory material.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">