• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel caused loss of job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My daughter works in home-based care for disabled adults. One of her coworkers had previously threatened to get her fired (she didn't report this). The coworker recently wrote an incident report that accused my daughter of verbal abuse. They were the only two people at work that day at that house. My daughter has been correctly suspended pending an investigation.

The client in question was intereviewed and said she likes my daughter/isn't afraid of her/wants her to come back to work. Other co-workers support my daughter. We are hoping she won't lose her job based on the word on one person, but don't currently know for sure.

If she loses her job because of this incident (WA is an 'at will' state), is there a case for loss of income due to libel?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My daughter works in home-based care for disabled adults. One of her coworkers had previously threatened to get her fired (she didn't report this). The coworker recently wrote an incident report that accused my daughter of verbal abuse. They were the only two people at work that day at that house. My daughter has been correctly suspended pending an investigation.

The client in question was intereviewed and said she likes my daughter/isn't afraid of her/wants her to come back to work. Other co-workers support my daughter. We are hoping she won't lose her job based on the word on one person, but don't currently know for sure.

If she loses her job because of this incident (WA is an 'at will' state), is there a case for loss of income due to libel?
There are many factors that come into play. The co-worker cannot be sanctioned for reporting abuse, especially since all of the employees are mandated reporters.

If your daughter does lose her job, I suggest that she file for unemployment and brush up her resume. She should forget about making money by way of a law suit. Unless she has several thousand dollars laying around to pay for an attorney, she should concentrate on what she can control

[email protected]

to antigone

Thanks for the advice. My concern wasn't about getting money, but keeping her job as the intent was malicious (the information in the report was made up). I don't fault the company for investigating, only the co-worker for making up false accusations.

Antigone*

Thanks for the advice. My concern wasn't about getting money, but keeping her job as the intent was malicious (the information in the report was made up). I don't fault the company for investigating, only the co-worker for making up false accusations.
Your daughter works in an at-will State. She can be fired for any reason. Her firing would not consistute libel.

swalsh411

You can forget about that then. There is no recourse that would force the employer to rehire her. You sue somebody for damages (money) not for a specific thing you want to see happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">