• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel?Slander?Defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrHandy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

Can a person be sued for making slanderous comments to people in email that adversly affect one's relationship with the receiver(s) of the said email? And also can a person be sued for defamation if they willingly do something that puts someone in a bad light to coworkers,friends,etc?

Thanks.

HomeGuru

MrHandy said:

Can a person be sued for making slanderous comments to people in email that adversly affect one's relationship with the receiver(s) of the said email? And also can a person be sued for defamation if they willingly do something that puts someone in a bad light to coworkers,friends,etc?

Thanks.
**A: yes and yes.

S

seniorjudge

MrHandy said:

Thanks.
You can sue anyone for anything at anytime anywhere. Whether you win or not is a different story.

Care to give us details?

Does this have something to do with your other thread?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=220567

MrHandy

yes and yes

This has everything to do with the thread from before. My dear estranged wife locked me out of our home in July of 2004 by getting an order of protection stating that I was "mentally ill"

Over the course of the next 5-6 months she:wrote letters and email to people including my own personal friends that she had never even been intorduceds to ( many live in different parts of the country) and told them very nasty lies about me. She has also had me arrested on five ocassions for allegedly sending her email that violated the non communication part of the order. After the last arrest , I suffered a heart attck and nervous breakdown landing me in a local hospital for 7 days.
I hads to wait before I could go back to work becuase my dr wanted to see me before I could return. I was told by the Dr to not work for an undetermined amount of time because of the stress and the fact that WORK WAS WHERE I WAS ARRESTED on all 5 occasions. She made sure that she filed the complaints when I was working.
Non of my coworkers will speak to me, my employer has been extremely cold in helping me with my disability...they do what they have to but it has been reduced to sending letters( I was asked not to call the store).

I have several of these letters and emails that really make me out to be a slime but the fact is , I have never been arrested before in my life( I am 52), I hold a NYS Pistol Permit and have for 29 years without incident.

I am tempted to just ket them take the car and file for Ch.7 and just put it behind me.
But becuas eof the hospitalzation and breakdown, I am an emotional wreck, I see a therapist twice a week, I only leave the house when I have either an appointment with my therapist or atty.
I am scared to death of seeing another State Police car.
I have suffered from clinical depression for 14 years and was , up until July '04, doing really good, working full time, had a side business, took care of the wife.......Now I am a complete wreck and sit in the house ......

Is that enough info?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">