• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Magazine Article libelous ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Huge

A journalist who wanted to buy a car from me has posted my phone and email conversations with him verbatim in a magazine article in Mens Journal. He has used my name and information about me. My conversations are verbatim whilst his are paraphrased which has embarrased me and made me look bad.
I am extremely angry about this however being from the UK originally I am unsure of where I stand in the US legally and my ability to take action.
I am in NY the 'journalist' live in RI
Can I sue this guy for defamation / hurt distress ?

Huge

re :

No i did not scam him. He wanted to buy a car from me and we had a verbal agreement. I had a better higher offer and I told this guy that.
He acts aggrieved but neglects to mention he was still looking at cheaper cars after we had a 'deal'.
My problem is that in telling stories you can always skew the tale via the use of language. He presents me as a kind of rough and tumble scumbag whilst he is the erudite victim.

Dave1952

Did you honor the verbal agreement?
Is he saying bad things about you because you did not honor the agreement? Understand that if you are not a man of your word and he writes that, he is telling the truth. That's not actionable.

Good luck

sandyclaus

In fact, posting your words VERBATIM is about as far from libel as you can get.
x2...

Truth is an absolute defense to a charge of defamation. In this case, you aren't saying that you didn't say them, instead you admit that the person wrote the very words you spoke, VERBATIM.

Your own words are what got you in trouble. I'm sure those words are open to interpretation by anyone reading them, but they are NOT untrue based upon your own admission. Ergo, the journalist did not defame you, you made YOURSELF look bad by saying these things to the journalist.

Sorry, but you have no case for defamation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">