• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malicious Defamation for Custodial Advantage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsmrchris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEVADA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEVADA

My fiance is divorced, and her ex husband's new girlfriend will stop at nothing to try and take the toddler away to hurt my fiance. After a year of nonstop threatening and mentally battering the toddler and my fiance - the ex husband's girlfriend has now taken to lying to police to try and gain custodial advantage. They have called the police (3) times and filed (3) cases with CPS in under 2 weeks. All of the charges are immediately dismissed. They then offered to drop the case if they were given 1 more day of custody. They have been caught COACHING the toddler repeatedly in attempts to get her to say the right things to get me arrested so they can take the toddler. The case workers, police, investigators, and state employees are all on our side, I have a paper trail and reports documenting their attempts at ABUSE of the system.

There has to be a way to be able to stop them from continuing. Someone cannot be allowed to abuse the system, lie to police, detectives, investigators, and CPS case workers. REPEATEDLY. I have had to miss days of work, explain to my bosses that I am not a child abuser or sex offender, I have had to miss custodial days with my own daughters, I have been prevented from being in my own home for days while parts of the investigation took place. These repeated false allegations and abuse of the system has traumatized me, and my family. I have had my reputation and relationships irreparably damaged with my coworkers, my bosses, my family.

Can I sue them for defamation? What other means of recourse and defense do I have to protect myself from this happening again next weekend?

Isis1

First off, who is blabbing to your boss and coworkers about the child abuse accusations?

Did you get fired as a result? Are you being blackballed for future employment?

Social services are used to calls such as these. And per your post, they agree these people are abusing the resources. However, by law, they have to investigate each claim appropriately.

And btw, unless your "fiance" is male, you have a fiancee.

itsmrchris

I have had a series of Police, Investigators, and CPS calling me at my office. I had to miss work to cooperate with investigations. My bosses had to be notified. I have not been fired, but I wear a scarlet letter at my place of employment now.

I understand they have to investigate all claims. My problem is not with the authorities doing their job. They are experts and have seen through the charges immediately, and have well documented their abuse of the system, the coaching and lying on their part.

My complaint is against the ex husband and his girlfriend filing repeated false claims in order to intentionally damage my relationships and reputation in order to gain custodial advantage.

So far, the last 2 weekends when they get their visitation are filled with coaching and mentally abusing the toddler, followed by calls to police and cps, and then offers to us to drop the case if we give them another day of custodial visitation. I am terrified of this happening again this weekend. This is malicious and intentionally abusive.

There has got to be some recourse or defense available to me to protect myself from this happening again.

Isis1

You didn't answer my question. Who is the one telling your bosses and coworkers the details of these phone calls?

Who is the one telling your coworkers and bosses WHY you had to take personal time?

itsmrchris

my co-workers hear my numerous conversations over the phone. we have land lines and work in very small desk areas.

When asked, I had to explain to my bosses why the police are calling for me repeatedly, and WHY I had to miss work.

That being said there is more going on here. My greatest concern is not my work. Granted, I am humiliated, and traumatized - but a job is a job. It is the repeated lying to the authorities, and filing false reports and claims to every agency to gain custodial advantage. At what point can I protect myself and how? what civil or criminal avenues are available TO ME?

quincy

If you have not already filed complaints with the police and CPS over the continued reports made against you, you should.

You could also look into filing an harassment complaint.

And, although you were the one who told others what has been said about you (thereby injuring your reputation at your workplace), there is still the possibility of a defamation suit, if you were forced by circumstances to reveal to your employer the facts behind your repeated absenses.

For this, however, you would need to sit down with a defamation attorney in your area who can review all of the facts. Defamation suits are not inexpensive suits to pursue and yours would have complications (ie. overcoming the privilege that attaches to reports made to CPS and the police, self-disclosure of defamatory facts). The attorney you consult with can let you know if a defamation suit is an option worth considering. I doubt if it will be worth the costs involved.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">