• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mistaken Identity!?!?!?!? Please Help......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lcmanny74

I recently recieved a letter in the mail from NM. Child Support Division stating that I had a 7 year old child that had been receiving state assistance and i was gonna have to pay up. Needless to say this was more then a shock to me and my family. I had to tell my significant other of 15 years about this of course, and that didnt go over to well. She ended up leaving me and taking my 3 children. This is just one example of how this has turned my life upside down. Now the crusher, The N.M.C.S.D called me yesterday to tell me it was a case of mistaken identity and there sorry......
Someone is obviously to blame . Is there anything I can do about this. Like I said this has turned my life upside down inside out. Or does the State just get to wipe there hands of it???What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

I recently recieved a letter in the mail from NM. Child Support Division stating that I had a 7 year old child that had been receiving state assistance and i was gonna have to pay up. Needless to say this was more then a shock to me and my family. I had to tell my significant other of 15 years about this of course, and that didnt go over to well. She ended up leaving me and taking my 3 children. This is just one example of how this has turned my life upside down. Now the crusher, The N.M.C.S.D called me yesterday to tell me it was a case of mistaken identity and there sorry......
Someone is obviously to blame . Is there anything I can do about this. Like I said this has turned my life upside down inside out. Or does the State just get to wipe there hands of it???What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Well, surely now that the matter is cleared up...your partner should be back with the kids, right?

Mistakes are made, unfortunately.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Apparently, you THOUGHT it was possible that you had a 7 year old child...otherwise you would have figured this out with your loving wife.

lcmanny74

I did have a checkered past with my GF. but I had come clean with her as honest as I could be, thats part of the major upsetting things. I had to go back and recall all my past when there was no need for it at all. It was too much for her to go through all this again. And & years would have been around my coming clean time. So she put two and two together and really flipped out...

Silverplum

I did have a checkered past with my GF. but I had come clean with her as honest as I could be, thats part of the major upsetting things. I had to go back and recall all my past when there was no need for it at all. It was too much for her to go through all this again. And & years would have been around my coming clean time. So she put two and two together and really flipped out...
Well, that's nothing to do with New Mexico and a clerical error.

Proserpina

...OP is single, so what does your comment have to do with his post?

In all fairness, his single status appears to be only days old...

..having a partner of 15 years and 3 kids tends to indicate that you're rather UNsingle ;)

That aside though - you're right. But it IS disneykid. How many of disneykid's posts are actually relevant? :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In all fairness, his single status appears to be only days old...

..having a partner of 15 years and 3 kids tends to indicate that you're rather UNsingle ;)

That aside though - you're right. But it IS disneykid. How many of disneykid's posts are actually relevant? :cool:
The phrase "significant other" is pretty darned indicative of SINGLENESS (as opposed to MARRIEDNESS) :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">