• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Photo Used Without Permission!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kriskis

Texas ~

A girl that I went to High School with was recently on the show Intervention. During the part where she is talking about how she started hanging with the "bad" crowd, and what kinds of drugs she was using, a picture of her and I was shown. My face was blurred, but you can tell it is me. Many of my old friends noticed it and have contacted me about it. I am wondering if there is any sort of law suit here? I still live in the town that I grew up in and DO NOT want to be associated with that show at all!

Thanks!!

quincy

Is there the possibility of bringing a successful action against the show and the network? Yes, there is that possibility. But a careful review of the facts by an attorney in your area would be necessary.

If you can honestly say that you were not part of the "bad crowd" in high school that used or abused drugs or alcohol, then you have a better chance of winning a suit.

If the photo is one from before the girl started associating with a group known for pushing legal limits, and you have never been involved in any questionable behavior with this girl, speak with the attorney and have him/her review the videotape. If the audio is as you say, and speaks of illegal behavior by the girl and of the girl being in a bad crowd, while at the same time your identifiable image is shown onscreen, then an invasion of privacy/false light action or a defamation by implication suit may be something you can consider.

Trying to file suit against a media group is not an inexpensive venture. You will be up against many skilled attorneys who will try to bury your suit by increasing the costs of litigation past your abilities to pay. However, if the attorney you consult thinks your suit has merit, and you have noticed the airing of the show has brought you unwanted and detrimental attention, it may be worth the time and effort and money that must be invested to pursue an action.

Again, speak with an attorney in your area (preferably one well-versed in media law). Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">