• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name/ph posted on website as slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostfalcon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY however does not pertain

I contacted a poster on CL a while ago, who had posted as a woman looking for a guy to hang out with, play pool and have a good time. She had pics and a cell so I txted "her" saying I liked the pics and would be interested in meeting. Recently a friend txted me asking if I knew I was listed on a site called exposingjohns.com - she said she had searched my cell because she forgot my address and was going to send me a book. Turns out my cell and pic and the txt were listed on the site as a "solicitation for prostitution" - now the ad mentioned nothing about money or anything like that. It was my belief and understanding this was just about two adults going out for the evening.

Well I consulted a lawyer friend who said it wasn't worth it just pay their silly fee and get rid of it... much against my will I did, I filled out the info and they "rejected my card" and now the listing shows my full name because they took it from the card. THis site is a total sham!

I am not a solicitor, in fact unlike most guys i'd rather cuddle up with a girl than screw around... I run a family business and serve my community in a number of ways voluntarily. I am a man of my word, I stand by what I say and I was brought up to take a loss rather than to hurt someone else... so to have this slander against my name is driving me crazy!
I actually found a girl on CL (believe it or not) that I am dating and we are faithful to each other... if she sees that she will not believe me, who would? I don't doubt that a great percentage of those reading this will probably just think I am a sorry pervert who got caught. I swear that is not the case!

So what are my options? The site is hosted in india, the site owners ignore emails and the CC payment thing is a scam to get your full name to post it.

Even though the company is in India, if i were to have a lawyer send a letter, maybe a India lawyer??? Do you think they might do something?

My reputation is very important to me, it is spotless. Ive been in a few relationships and I am always faithful, I never look for other partners while in a relationship... I can't tell you how angering this is to me that not only am I being portrayed as someone searching but someone searching for a prostitute.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY however does not pertain

I contacted a poster on CL a while ago, who had posted as a woman looking for a guy to hang out with, play pool and have a good time. She had pics and a cell so I txted "her" saying I liked the pics and would be interested in meeting. Recently a friend txted me asking if I knew I was listed on a site called exposingjohns.com - she said she had searched my cell because she forgot my address and was going to send me a book. Turns out my cell and pic and the txt were listed on the site as a "solicitation for prostitution" - now the ad mentioned nothing about money or anything like that. It was my belief and understanding this was just about two adults going out for the evening.

Well I consulted a lawyer friend who said it wasn't worth it just pay their silly fee and get rid of it... much against my will I did, I filled out the info and they "rejected my card" and now the listing shows my full name because they took it from the card. THis site is a total sham!

I am not a solicitor, in fact unlike most guys i'd rather cuddle up with a girl than screw around... I run a family business and serve my community in a number of ways voluntarily. I am a man of my word, I stand by what I say and I was brought up to take a loss rather than to hurt someone else... so to have this slander against my name is driving me crazy!
I actually found a girl on CL (believe it or not) that I am dating and we are faithful to each other... if she sees that she will not believe me, who would? I don't doubt that a great percentage of those reading this will probably just think I am a sorry pervert who got caught. I swear that is not the case!

So what are my options? The site is hosted in india, the site owners ignore emails and the CC payment thing is a scam to get your full name to post it.

Even though the company is in India, if i were to have a lawyer send a letter, maybe a India lawyer??? Do you think they might do something?

My reputation is very important to me, it is spotless. Ive been in a few relationships and I am always faithful, I never look for other partners while in a relationship... I can't tell you how angering this is to me that not only am I being portrayed as someone searching but someone searching for a prostitute.

Any advice would be appreciated.

India likely will completely ignore any actions from a US attorney, and we don't know Indian law here unfortunately. The other thing is, defamation suits are inherently expensive to litigate (think 3 years if fast, and tens of thousands of dollars if cheap) and you'll have virtually NO chance of collecting any money.

quincy

I agree with Proserpina.

Unless the site has a U.S. agent with whom you can communicate and send a letter requesting removal of your identifying information, you would have to handle any legal action in India. If you wish to sue an India-based site, you must sue in India under Indian laws.

Their defamation laws are different than ours. Even our defamation laws are different from state to state.

The best you can probably do, without hiring an attorney in India or traveling to India to handle it yourself, is to be honest about this with those you know, if the issue ever comes up (and it may not).

Last edited:

lostfalcon

My fear is that people wouldn't ask me about it, they'll just be like Ohh wow I would have never thought it of him.
The friend who send me the link said she knew I would never solicit for money but she is like my sister we have no secrets we mess with each others phones...

I really am afraid this could ruin family and friendships... how would be a good way to go about hiring a Indian lawyer or is that probably a waste of time?

Proserpina

My fear is that people wouldn't ask me about it, they'll just be like Ohh wow I would have never thought it of him.
The friend who send me the link said she knew I would never solicit for money but she is like my sister we have no secrets we mess with each others phones...

I really am afraid this could ruin family and friendships... how would be a good way to go about hiring a Indian lawyer or is that probably a waste of time?

You'd have to seek out an attorney familiar with Indian law.

I honestly don't think this is a viable lawsuit for you - it will cost YOU far too much, with (as I mentioned) virtually no chance of collecting any judgment/award.

quincy

You can contact a law firm in your area that handles international law. Ask there. Or contact your state Bar Association for direction.

But, realistically. . . .it is probably not going to be worth the expense.

(yes, what Pro said :))

lostfalcon

Ohh I am aware a lawsuit would be too expensive I was thinking more along the lines of intimidation. I mean if a law firm sends you a cease and desist letter theres a least a chance you'll take it serious and remove the slanderous remarks right?

Proserpina

Ohh I am aware a lawsuit would be too expensive I was thinking more along the lines of intimidation. I mean if a law firm sends you a cease and desist letter theres a least a chance you'll take it serious and remove the slanderous remarks right?

Given that a C&D carries no legal weight, I wouldn't count on that.

Remember, you're not talking about US law here - you're talking Indian law. And there's a possibility such a thing doesn't even exist in India.

quincy

First, what is written is "libel." Slander is its oral equivalent.

In India, there are both civil and criminal defamation laws.

The tort has elements that are similar (not the same) to those in the States. To support a defamation claim in India, you must prove that a false and defamatory statement was published about you.

Criminal defamation has an additional intent to harm element (which equates to actual malice here in the U.S.) and is punishable by up to two years in jail and/or a fine or, for internet defamation, up to three years in jail and/or a fine.

A few of the defenses to defamation in India are truth and substantial truth, good faith publication, and publication for the public good.

In India, the website in question would be immune from a defamation claim unless they contributed to the content (which is similar to the immunity offered through our Communications Decency Act, Section 230). Any target of a cease and desist or a suit, then, would probably have to be the woman you originally contacted - and that means it is even less likely to be worth your time, effort or money to pursue this.

You can run it by an attorney in your area but I am thinking it is best to let the matter drop and move on.

Last edited:

justsomeguy123

Same Situation

I also was surprised to find myself on this site, and I have been trying to figure out what to do. I thought you should know that, according to the whois data, the website's administrative and technical contact address is 6815 Biscayne Blvd Ste 103 #394 Miami, FL 33138, which is a box at a UPS store. I let the UPS store know that the box is being used for this scam, but they will not do anything without some sort of legal order. The website is actually registered as an LLC in Florida, so I don't know if that gives us an easier legal option to deal with them. I would rather not pay their blackmail, especially after your experience. The terms and conditions say that the website is hosted in the United States. Anyway, I hope that helps us get some help.

quincy

I also was surprised to find myself on this site, and I have been trying to figure out what to do. I thought you should know that, according to the whois data, the website's administrative and technical contact address is 6815 Biscayne Blvd Ste 103 #394 Miami, FL 33138, which is a box at a UPS store. I let the UPS store know that the box is being used for this scam, but they will not do anything without some sort of legal order. The website is actually registered as an LLC in Florida, so I don't know if that gives us an easier legal option to deal with them. I would rather not pay their blackmail, especially after your experience. The terms and conditions say that the website is hosted in the United States. Anyway, I hope that helps us get some help.
You can file complaints with your state's Attorney General (you failed to mention the name of your state, by the way) and you can file a complaint with Florida's Attorney General, if the site is registered as doing business in Florida. But, again, there is probably little you can realistically do to have your personal identifying information removed from an objectionable site when the site is based overseas.

It is important for people to be wary when interacting with others on the internet. While there are a lot of honest people who use the internet for honest purposes, there are probably an equal number of neer-do-wells, and it is often hard to discern who is who through email communications and texts.

I recommend no one send off money to websites to have information removed, however. It is a money-making scheme that works well for the site owners but rarely has satisfactory results for the person who is doing the paying.

RocketHawk

More information about exposing johns.

I have received two texts that I was also on this site. The first one I simply deleted since I thought it was just a scam. Recently I received another text and this one included my name, city and state and suggested that I delete my information. This time I went to the site and found my information. I also found an alleged copy of a very short text that was attributed to my cell number. The only problem is, I don't abbreviate like the text and there was a grossly misspelled word in the text. I don't plan on giving in to extortion from these people. The BBB has given the location in Florida an "F" rating and the toll free number has been disconnected. The second text came from a cell phone in Las Vegas. I did a reverse look up but have not paid the fee to get the information on the owner yet.
The is an internet reputation firm that recently sent out a notice that they were dedicated to removing this site and for anyone who has been included in the site, to contact them. This may be a bigger scam then the exposing johns site. I just wonder how long the site can exist?

Proserpina

I have received two texts that I was also on this site. The first one I simply deleted since I thought it was just a scam. Recently I received another text and this one included my name, city and state and suggested that I delete my information. This time I went to the site and found my information. I also found an alleged copy of a very short text that was attributed to my cell number. The only problem is, I don't abbreviate like the text and there was a grossly misspelled word in the text. I don't plan on giving in to extortion from these people. The BBB has given the location in Florida an "F" rating and the toll free number has been disconnected. The second text came from a cell phone in Las Vegas. I did a reverse look up but have not paid the fee to get the information on the owner yet.
The is an internet reputation firm that recently sent out a notice that they were dedicated to removing this site and for anyone who has been included in the site, to contact them. This may be a bigger scam then the exposing johns site. I just wonder how long the site can exist?

Start your own thread please.

Assuming you're not trolling, anyway.

quincy

And RocketHawk (again assuming you are not a troll), please include the name of your state when you start your own thread.

RocketHawk

My Apologies

Gentlemen: I was not aware of what a Troll is, but after looking it up I can assure you that is not my intention. I am a victim like you are and I have done research on this web site. I very seldom have ever participated on a site such as this, so if I did not follow proper procedures, my apologies. Let me pass on the following: I did a Google search where I keyed in the name of the web site and followed it with the word "information". That is how I found your thread and some other bits of information. I would suggest that you do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">