• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need your opinion on situation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sappr07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My girlfriend is a 3rd grade teacher in North Carolina. A few weeks ago a female student of hers told my girlfriend that she was being bullied on the way home by a male student that was at the same school but not in the same classroom. The bullying included name calling, physical abuse, and other tormenting. This of course was not on school grounds but she was still concerned for her student. The male student refused to stop bullying despite many attempts by my girlfriend and other administrative staff of the school. The last time it happened my girlfriend advised the mother of the female student to call the police and report the physical abuse of the male student. My girlfriend has now been subpoenaed by the courts for defamation of character. Please give me your opinions on the matter and whether or not the mother of the male character has any real case here.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My girlfriend is a 3rd grade teacher in North Carolina. A few weeks ago a female student of hers told my girlfriend that she was being bullied on the way home by a male student that was at the same school but not in the same classroom. The bullying included name calling, physical abuse, and other tormenting. This of course was not on school grounds but she was still concerned for her student. The male student refused to stop bullying despite many attempts by my girlfriend and other administrative staff of the school. The last time it happened my girlfriend advised the mother of the female student to call the police and report the physical abuse of the male student. My girlfriend has now been subpoenaed by the courts for defamation of character. Please give me your opinions on the matter and whether or not the mother of the male character has any real case here.

Thank you in advance for your help.
So, that makes you what, a 3rd party, 4th party?

Really, there is no way that any of us can tell you whether or not the case is valid.

sappr07

well can simply referring someone to call the cops on another be considered defamation of character?

Isis1

well can simply referring someone to call the cops on another be considered defamation of character?
in that instance, absolutely not.

did the mother of the bullied child file a police report? were any charges brought?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">