• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where this goes, Sorry...reputation damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M'Hael

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

On October 7th, 2010. I was the victim of domestic violence. I am a male.

I never hit struck or threatened my girlfriend. A neighbor called the police and she was arrested. Being a male, I was initially treated as the aggressor by the police. I understand this to an extent because I also am in law enforcement. I happen to be a federal agent and so is my girlfriend.

Aside from the initally aggressive treatment from the police, I was never charged with any crime, or arrested. I followed all of my agency's reporting proceedures. Everybody at my agency agrees that I did everything right.

Since my girlfriend is also a federal agent, her service weapon had to be pulled while she took care of the court issues. Because of this, Internal Affairs of my agency opened an administrative investigation into the incident. This is where the real problem begins.

About a week after the incident, I went to the police department to talk to a supervisor, about my treatment and the light I was portrayed by the officer in his report. I told the supervisor that I didn't want to file paperwork because I wanted to extend professional courtesy, but the issue needed to be addressed. He told me not to worry, because I wasn't being charged with anything and that he would talk to the officers involved.

In the middle of December, I was served with a notice to appear by Internal Affairs to be a witness in the investigation into my girlfriend. IA's questions, that were pre-written, did not paint me as a witness. The majority of questions were in regards to my conduct, specifically if I asked for special treatment, lied to the cops to cover up the incident, etc. I never did any of those things. My supervisor at my agency concurs. I was told at the conclusion of the interview that I would be interviewed again.

January 4, 2011, my girlfriend was called in as the subject in the investigation. Then they made her a witness against me. They asked essentially the same questions.

January 20, 2011 I was called in as the subject of my own investigation for "Making False Statements" to the police at the incident. IA (whether or not they were lying) say that the cops are saying I lied, covered up, and came off like a total dick. I don't know if this is true or not, but having complained before, I don't necessarily doubt it.

Internal Affairs says that they have to investigate this, because if I lied to the cops, based on the Henthorne rule, that is discoverable and could be used to impeach me if I get called to testify.

As the victim, all of my information is redacted out of all copies of the report. It cannot be searched for. Somebody would have to know I was the victim on that day, on that report number. On top of that I never lied to the cops. However, now that I have been investigated, I have a permanent question to my credibility in my personnel file. This will not only impact my ability to testify in court for a career i've spent my whole life working, but also affect promotions and transfers.

I feel like I am being victimized twice. Once as the DV victim, and now by Internal Affairs. I make the following suggestions.

Based on my knowledge:

Internal Affairs failed to exercise due dilligence in recognizing that my off duty conduct, regardless of the outcome, had no nexus whatsoever to the job, and were negligent in investigating said conduct.

They created severe and long term damage to my career, my reputation and my emotional well being, by causing me embarassment and distress in having to defend myself against these accusations.

I have been double victimized because my life will be affected by something when I did nothing wrong.

And I believe my 14th amendment was violated because I was forced to disclose non-criminal conduct from my personal life, as a victim, as a condition of my employment.

Thank you so much in advance,

LM

quincy

You were never arrested and you were never charged with a crime and you are still a federal agent, right?

I am not seeing the reputational injury you claim you have suffered.

You were questioned as part of an investigation. You responded to the questions asked. Your answers may have conflicted with the answers given by another or others, or perhaps Internal Affairs wanted to see if your story changed over time, but, from the sounds of it, no conclusions were drawn by IA as to who was "lying" and who was not (if, in fact, anyone was lying at all).

Almost all jobs take into consideration an employee's "off-duty" conduct, by the way.

Did you actually have a question?

M'Hael

In case I didn't explain this part, or explained it improperly, I apologize and mean no offense.

I didn't mean reputation damage as in, "oh great, my co-workers think I'm a liar"... and maybe I meant my professional credibility more than reputation. I'll try to explain what I did mean, but please, be patient. It might take an attempt or two.

IA investigated me, because if I lied to the cops, then I wouldn't be able to testify in court. I'm sure you're all aware of discovery, and if there is a police report that contains my name, they're concerned there's a defense atty. out there that will grab it, and go to town and impeach me. They say they have no choice to propose termination (they are actually proposing 30 days on the beach up to termination).

Now, the damage to my reputation and credibility, was caused when they opened that investigation. The Henthorn rule, says that everything in my personnel file that is relevant is discoverable, even if I've been cleared of an investigation. So, now that I've been the subject of an investigation to lack of candor, a good defense team could find and that convince 12 knuckleheads I can't be trusted.

In addition, information contained in my personnel file will be used to make determinations on transfers and promotions, so my entire professional career has been impacted by this, all because they decided they wanted to go on a head hunt.

And the question I forgot to add was,

Since IA's investigation has caused permanent damage to my credibility, and professional life (transfers and promotions), is it actionable, since I have damage, cause, proximity and duty?

Or what am I missing here? Thanks.

tranquility

There is no case here. IA has a duty to investigate. People have a right to complain to official government agencies when they believe the agency should know. There is a type of immunity for such a report and it would require intentional or malicious falsehood to be actionable.

No case.

M'Hael

I guess that was the part that confused me. There was no complaint against me.

I complained to the police department, which explains why they would be lying during the IA investigation. But IA decided to try to shake me down from the beginning, and let the "slam dunk" case against my girlfriend pass.

Unfortunately the only person harmed by this he said/she said is me, because I can't prove that they're lying to IA no more than they can prove I lied to them, even though the only story that has changed since the incident is theirs.

I was never out for money by the way, I just want my record cleared since I did nothing wrong. I know the tone would be different if this had been a cop treating a civilian this way.

But if you're telling me I have to live the rest of my life with this unjustified shadow over my head because some guy in IA is trying to justify his position, then I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">