• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online harrassment from family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amiledeep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My brother's wife lives in SC. I have not seen or spoken to her in years. She blames my family because her daughter is autistic, and has done many things against my family. She has posted on here looking for legal advice to sue my mother for child support. She tried to sue my grandparents for the same thing. She's posted lies and rambling things on online forums. She's posted on Craigslist, and contacted family members on MySpace. I am getting married in a month. Today she found my husband to be's family members and wrote them a message on Facebook, 'warning' them about my family, and all the 'problems' we have. Is there a way to stop this? Is this considered harassment? What can I do about it? She has contacted people I don't know very well to 'explain' why they don't want me in their family. She has caused much drama and strife in our family because of her publicly 'denouncing' us.
She is currently in deportation proceedings, and there is a chance she will be able to stay because of her daughter's condition. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My brother's wife lives in SC. I have not seen or spoken to her in years. She blames my family because her daughter is autistic, and has done many things against my family. She has posted on here looking for legal advice to sue my mother for child support. She tried to sue my grandparents for the same thing. She's posted lies and rambling things on online forums. She's posted on Craigslist, and contacted family members on MySpace. I am getting married in a month. Today she found my husband to be's family members and wrote them a message on Facebook, 'warning' them about my family, and all the 'problems' we have. Is there a way to stop this? Is this considered harassment? What can I do about it? She has contacted people I don't know very well to 'explain' why they don't want me in their family. She has caused much drama and strife in our family because of her publicly 'denouncing' us.
She is currently in deportation proceedings, and there is a chance she will be able to stay because of her daughter's condition. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: you can hire a personal attorney.

amiledeep

But what could an attorney do? She sent me a harassing email today, as well as two more messages on Facebook. I have not replied to any of them.

swalsh411

You could start by blocking her on FB and in your email to start. Maybe once she realizes you are not reading these messages she will stop.

Hot Topic

An attorney could send her a cease and desist letter.

I suspect most people realize that she isn't "right" and ignore her allegations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">