• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxAlexa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

People have been harassing me online for over a year or so now. I know, I know, you're gonna say just block them. I've tried, and they constantly do it other ways, and get other people to say things through them to me. I know it may sound not as minor, but they literally went to people from my past and got information from them, even trying to sabotage my relationship with my boyfriend by showing him things that he already knew. Anyway, these maybe 5-7 people have been harassing me on and off for over a year, and I'm not too sure what to do anymore. I waited until they posted something public, so I could maybe seek something against them.

They post this article: http://pastebin.com/u20rGFmV

Anyway, read through that, if you don't care for a big read.

The names mentioned in the post were my birth name, since I am of the transgendered community. And I'm not too sure what to do anymore, and if I report the link, of course they'll repost it and keep on.

I contacted the police department and they told me to come in and talk with them about it, but at this point I'm stuck, and I really want this to stop. I don't need people doing this to me.

Sorry long read~

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no such thing as "online slander", by definition.

Why haven't you gone to talk to the police? :confused:

TigerD

Sure fire solution for online harassment. I have never seen this fail.

Turn off the computer and volunteer at the animal shelter.

DC

quincy

Perhaps I am missing something (?), but that postbin post by Derek does not appear to contain anything in it that is defamatory, nor does it appear that what is posted is an invasion of your privacy. I also do not see any threats made against you or any comments designed specifically to harass you that could support a police action. I do not believe that the police can do anything about the postings and I do not believe that there is any civil action you can take against Derek or the other posters, unless there is much much more to your story than what you have revealed here.

You openly say that you are transgender, and this fact also appears to be known to many of your (at least online) friends, to people in your past (?), and to your current (not online?) boyfriend. The post you referred us to discusses the fact that you are transgender (and that you have used multiple user names reflecting both sexes). If what is said about you being transgender is true, it is not defamatory and, if what is said about you being transgender is already known to others, it is not an invasion of your privacy.

If what is posted about you is false, on the other hand, then there could be some legal options for you to explore, if the various user ID names can be connected to the real-life you and/or if false information about you has been passed onto others in your real life and this false information about you has caused demonstrable harm.

Although being called a "homosexual" is not considered defamatory in most areas of this country any more under most circumstances and in most contexts, even when false, stating that you want a "sex change" could potentially be defamatory, if it is false. For any false postings made about you, you may want to have them reviewed by an attorney in your area for an assessment.

You have, for whatever reason, become a topic of discussion among "friends." The best solution is to turn off your computer, as DC suggested, or delete all of your current accounts and do not revisit your old online haunts, change your user ID to one not known by others, and then get a whole new bunch of friends.

And, in the future, if you wish to keep private information private, don't tell others. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">