• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An online thread that I begged a forum to delete totally destroyed my life.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj1980

But before I look to post a link to the thread I feel like I should explain.

A little less than 2 years ago I started a thread on an online poker forum that started out with me asking for advice. It evolved into something terrible, that totally destroyed my life. Somehow I was not anonymous at all and people began threatening me, harrassing me, etc. I continued to post in the thread mostly to defend myself.

I ended up losing my job, my EDD benefits, and my family, all because of this thread. The amount of emotional and financial pain I have suffered is unbearable. I asked them many times to delete the thread and they refused.

The thread itself still remains.

Do I have a viable case?

eerelations

We need a little more information. Can you explain how a bunch of strangers saying stupid things to you on an online poker forum caused your EDD benefits to be cancelled and for you to lose your job, your money and your family? Because this is very unusual - lots of people post stupid messages to each other on online forums all the time, and to my knowledge, no one has ever sustained losses like this as a result...

nj1980

We need a little more information. Can you explain how a bunch of strangers saying stupid things to you on an online poker forum caused your EDD benefits to be cancelled and for you to lose your job, your money and your family? Because this is very unusual - lots of people post stupid messages to each other on online forums all the time, and to my knowledge, no one has ever sustained losses like this as a result...
I am happy to provide any information you require.

Its a long story.

Somehow, people knew who I was and my anonymity was nonexistent. I posted personal stuff about my job etc, and someone send a link of the thread to my employer and I was terminated.

Also I took a trip to Nevada while receiving EDD benefits and EDD was contacted as well and my benefits were suspended temporarily which caused a big problem, ultimately my vehicle was repoed.

Also a link to the thread was sent to my family. The emotional suffering I have endured as a result of this thread is literally unprecedented. I have considered suicide.

I asked begged and pleaded with them to delete the thread many times and they refused because it became very popular and they must have been making money from ad revenue.

I have screenshots that I exchanged with the mods/admins begging them to delete the thread, that it was causing me cruel and unusual suffering and they ignored and refused.

The thread totally destroyed my life.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am happy to provide any information you require.

Its a long story.

Somehow, people knew who I was and my anonymity was nonexistent. I posted personal stuff about my job etc, and someone send a link of the thread to my employer and I was terminated.

Also I took a trip to Nevada while receiving EDD benefits and EDD was contacted as well and my benefits were suspended temporarily which caused a big problem, ultimately my vehicle was repoed.

Also a link to the thread was sent to my family. The emotional suffering I have endured as a result of this thread is literally unprecedented. I have considered suicide.

I asked begged and pleaded with them to delete the thread many times and they refused because it became very popular and they must have been making money from ad revenue.

I have screenshots that I exchanged with the mods/admins begging them to delete the thread, that it was causing me cruel and unusual suffering and they ignored and refused.

The thread totally destroyed my life.
I think we're being trolled here folks.

Best of luck to you, nj1980 - seek help.

FlyingRon

What makes you think there is any anonymity on the Internet? There's only the illusion of such. By thew ay every post you make here is tagged with your IP address. Even if you delete or edit your posts, the history of those posts is retained by the software (I run several other sites based on the same software this site uses).

Besides, the POSTS didn't screw you. You posted information critical to your employment with the unfounded assumption it wouldn't be traced back to you or reach your employer.
Your haven't explained what all else went on but it would appear your travel and gambling were the source of your other problems.

A company is not under any obligation to remove material you post there. Your remorse over being stupid isn't actionable against them.

nj1980

What makes you think there is any anonymity on the Internet? There's only the illusion of such. By thew ay every post you make here is tagged with your IP address. Even if you delete or edit your posts, the history of those posts is retained by the software (I run several other sites based on the same software this site uses).

Besides, the POSTS didn't screw you. You posted information critical to your employment with the unfounded assumption it wouldn't be traced back to you or reach your employer.
Your haven't explained what all else went on but it would appear your travel and gambling were the source of your other problems.

A company is not under any obligation to remove material you post there. Your remorse over being stupid isn't actionable against them.

Who said anything about gambling?

STEPHAN

It is not an online thread that destroys your life.

You have you life in your hands. You poor choices can destroy your life.

Start making the right choices any your life will recover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">