• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Organization uses photo of me without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Needadvice20

i'm in Illinois, and I recently dealt with a dog rescue organization that was posting mean things about me on social media. I was able to get some of it taken down, but I just went on their regular website and they have posted a picture that includes me without my consent. How can I get this taken down? I can't ask the director of this rescue/main contributor to the website because she is volatile and would most likely lash out more. What can I do?

quincy

i'm in Illinois, and I recently dealt with a dog rescue organization that was posting mean things about me on social media. I was able to get some of it taken down, but I just went on their regular website and they have posted a picture that includes me without my consent. How can I get this taken down? I can't ask the director of this rescue/main contributor to the website because she is volatile and would most likely lash out more. What can I do?
How can you get a photo, that includes you in the photo, removed from the website? I am not at all sure you can.

What sort of photo is this?

Is it a photo that shows many people at a dog rescue organization event? Or is it a photo showing volunteers at work, with you one of several volunteers pictured?

Is the photo focused on you alone?

Is the photo being used for a commercial purpose, for the solicitation of donations?

Does the photo have a caption that names you as one who is connected with the organization, or otherwise mentions your name?

The publication of group shots taken in a public place, photos where no one single person is focused, violate no privacy rights or rights of publicity laws. If you were a part of the organization at the time the photo was taken, the organization can use the photo - as long as the organization is not using the photo to demean you or defame you or to trade off your good name in a commercial manner (i.e., using your fame or community connections as a way to promote the organization).

Depending on the type of photo, you either have to work with the organization and their good nature to get the photo of you removed, or you have the possibility of a legal action (that would probably cost more to pursue than you could ever hope to gain).

Just Blue

What kind of "mean things" were they posting? For what reason?:confused:

quincy

Blue Meanie asked good questions, the answers of which can determine if you have a defamation claim to pursue against the publisher of the "mean things."

Following is a link to the Digital Media Law Project's brief overview of defamation law in Illinois, so you can get an idea as to whether what was posted about you was just mean or whether what was posted about you could potentially be seen as defamatory.

DMLP: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/illinois-defamation-law

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">