• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parents are making false accusations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pb2002

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I run a licensed in home daycare. I had a parent wanting to drop their child off on a drop-in basis. I accepted, only to find out later that the parents go to parenting classes. The girl cries everytime she comes over, she is only two, and her mom is a stay at home mom. Also she only comes every 2-3 weeks. Long story short because she cries her parents are a assuming that I must be doing something to her. They asked a 3 year old, at his house, I keep what happens when you are in trouble at daycare, and he said "ah spanking" then his parents told me they spank him at home, and they are backing me that I didn't do anything. However, the parents of the girl called dhs on me and are spreading lies. My reputation is my livelyhood in this business. They are doing an investigation, which I'm not worried about. What can I do when it is proven I didn't do anything (which DHS said all they can put in the reports which are open to the public, is that they couldn't prove I did it) So I'm still not going to be found innocent. How can I protect myself from the lies and rumors the parents are spreading?

day care

If someone suspects child abuse, they can report it. While no one should accept the word of a 3 yr. old as the truth in all cases, the parents may have felt compelled to call DHS. DHS must investigate the case. You cannot sue for defamation if they can prove the child said this. They merely reported hearsay, which is not a crime.

pb2002

Proven I didn't do anything...

Oklahoma

What about after the investigation and it's proven false? They keep saying things to people in public how I hit their child and so forth?

M

meganproser

What about after the investigation and it's proven false?

It’s not going to be proven “false” unless the child admits he was lying and even then, with such a young child, there will still be questions.

They keep saying things to people in public how I hit their child and so forth?

What they told child services was privileged and there is nothing you can do about it. What they are saying to others is another matter.

In order to sue them for defamation, you would have to prove they a made a false, unprivileged statement of fact (sufficient to deter third persons from associating with you or which subject you to public scorn or ridicule), to a third party.

Without knowing EXACTLY what they are saying to people, it's impossible to tell you anything further on the subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">