• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal photos/videos stolen and released from personal computer by ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoinette3173

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have been receiving notification from friends and coworkers that my ex-boyfriend is sending personal nude photos and videos of me to many people. I have not seen them myself, but I assume that some are photos that were taken consensually for us and stored on each of our computers, and some are pictures/videos that he must have stolen from my personal computer from past relationships. Do I have any civil or ciminal rights? If so, are they different depending on which pictures are being circulated?

HomeGuru

antoinette3173 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have been receiving notification from friends and coworkers that my ex-boyfriend is sending personal nude photos and videos of me to many people. I have not seen them myself, but I assume that some are photos that were taken consensually for us and stored on each of our computers, and some are pictures/videos that he must have stolen from my personal computer from past relationships. Do I have any civil or ciminal rights? If so, are they different depending on which pictures are being circulated?
**A: you DO NOT have any ciminal rights.

antoinette3173

Do I have any civil rights? What about invasion of privacy for taking photos from my personal computer without my consent, or using (disseminating) my property without my permission?
If I went to small claims court, could I ask for an injuction to return the photos?

S

seniorjudge

antoinette3173 said:
Do I have any civil rights? What about invasion of privacy for taking photos from my personal computer without my consent, or using (disseminating) my property without my permission?
If I went to small claims court, could I ask for an injuction to return the photos?
Sure, take him to small claims court. Some states allow a return of property as part of the judgment, but what you are saying is that he is disseminating HIS property, so I don't really see that as an outcome. You would have to ask for damages for invasion of privacy.

(Closely check your state's small claims laws to see if those kinds of damages are allowed in SCC...otherwise, you will have to go to civil court. Expect the photos to be introduced in evidence; all the jurors and court personnell will see them also.)

Need4Answers

I went thru the same situation.... my ex lied to the police and said he didn't show the pictures to anyone. And since I could not prove it the police said it was only heresay so they would not arrest him (I had an order of protection). They said I could take him to civil court, but with not hard evidence, I was wasting everyone's time. So I have to walk by these people and actually deal with some of them on a weekly basis knowing they have seen these pictures while they lie right to my face.... and there is nothing I can do about it. I know it stinks.... but god forbid if we try to get even and show the pictures we have of them because that is when the police will get involved so I would not suggest trying to get even, it always ends up bitting you in the butt. I am sorry this happened to you, I know how you feel, it stinks and hurts all at the same time, not to mention how angry it makes you. I wish you the best of luck in getting them back, but you will never know for sure if he does return them if he made copies or not. good luck.

S

seniorjudge

Is it just me or is it that nude models are complaining a lot lately because their pictures get shown around?

If you pose for a picture (clothed, unclothed, half clothed) you can expect someone to see it.

Join the model's union before you pose again and then you can sue for damages if there is an unauthorized distribution.

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
**A: you DO NOT have any ciminal rights.
Well now Mr. HG, I would have to disagree. Depending on how ugly, fat and disgusting she is she very likely would have the right to criminal scorn.

You Are Guilty

seniorjudge said:
Is it just me or is it that nude models are complaining a lot lately because their pictures get shown around?

If you pose for a picture (clothed, unclothed, half clothed) you can expect someone to see it.

Join the model's union before you pose again and then you can sue for damages if there is an unauthorized distribution.
The odd thing is that of all the people complaining about their nekkid pictures getting out, they all have a valid point - most of them should be locked in a zoo, not taking nekkid pictures. I have a good mind to report some of their boyfriends to the local SPCA chapters for animal cruelty.

stephenk

"and some are pictures/videos that he must have stolen from my personal computer from past relationships."

so the nude photos include other boyfriends?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since this question has come up so often I discussed it with an attorney friend who does not post on this forum (though he does on others).

He said that although this is not his area of law, if anyone came to him with a complaint that a former boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse had posted nude photos of her/him on the internet without permission, then regardless of whether the person posed knowingly for the photos or not, he would not hesitate to file a suit against the person who posted the photoe for intentional infliction of emotional distress. He says he very much doubts that consenting to have the pictures taken is a substitute for a release of those pictures for publication.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
Since this question has come up so often I discussed it with an attorney friend who does not post on this forum (though he does on others).

He said that although this is not his area of law, if anyone came to him with a complaint that a former boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse had posted nude photos of her/him on the internet without permission, then regardless of whether the person posed knowingly for the photos or not, he would not hesitate to file a suit against the person who posted the photoe for intentional infliction of emotional distress. He says he very much doubts that consenting to have the pictures taken is a substitute for a release of those pictures for publication.
and did you ask him if he would do so pro bono? ;)

S

seniorjudge

cbg said:

Did he tell you the jury would get to see the photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">