• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help**************.. New to this site.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sallyusa

Hi I am new to this site and just have a couple of question regarding slander. When I got divorced from my husband our divorce was amicable, no arguments, no fighting no nothing basically we parted on good terms. And had no problems what so ever. I had no problem with his family what so ever even during the time we were married or even dating. I loved his family the way I loved my family.

I recently found out that my ex's mother has been going around and spreading rumors that she thinks that if her son does not come back to me that she thinks that i'm going to kill him and their family and i for once am dissappointed because never in my life i have never been disrespectfull to that family not even once. I've not spoken to them in over 2 years ever sense i divorced their son.

The thing is I dont want to destroy my reputation and dont want to look bad around other's. And she's already done that. So the damage has already been made. What my questions is this can I file a complaint ? I know that she has told one of her cousin's and when words like this spread basically the whole persian community find out and makes me look bad.

Do I have to hire an attorney to write this for me or cant I just file this at the district court house ? Are there forms that needs to be filled out? If so can anyone please give me a website were I can print these forms online and file them at the court myself instead of having to get lawyers involved?

After our divorce my ex and I never had problems what so ever. We were friends on/off but now recently were no longer on speaking terms at the momment. I dont want to have to send a threat because anything coming from me i'm sure for a fact its going to be held as a eveidence for me. I heard this coming from my uncle and his wife so I have people as witnesses.

And what does ususally happen to court for cases like these? And what is the penatly for the other party ? Any information would be helpfull. Please let me know. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

Hi I am new to this site and just have a couple of question regarding slander. When I got divorced from my husband our divorce was amicable, no arguments, no fighting no nothing basically we parted on good terms. And had no problems what so ever. I had no problem with his family what so ever even during the time we were married or even dating. I loved his family the way I loved my family.

I recently found out that my ex's mother has been going around and spreading rumors that she thinks that if her son does not come back to me that she thinks that i'm going to kill him and their family and i for once am dissappointed because never in my life i have never been disrespectfull to that family not even once. I've not spoken to them in over 2 years ever sense i divorced their son.

The thing is I dont want to destroy my reputation and dont want to look bad around other's. And she's already done that. So the damage has already been made. What my questions is this can I file a complaint ? I know that she has told one of her cousin's and when words like this spread basically the whole persian community find out and makes me look bad.

Do I have to hire an attorney to write this for me or cant I just file this at the district court house ? Are there forms that needs to be filled out? If so can anyone please give me a website were I can print these forms online and file them at the court myself instead of having to get lawyers involved?

After our divorce my ex and I never had problems what so ever. We were friends on/off but now recently were no longer on speaking terms at the momment. I dont want to have to send a threat because anything coming from me i'm sure for a fact its going to be held as a eveidence for me. I heard this coming from my uncle and his wife so I have people as witnesses.

And what does ususally happen to court for cases like these? And what is the penatly for the other party ? Any information would be helpfull. Please let me know. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: first off, where are you getting the information from? Next, I do not think you could properly fill out the court paperwork.
Are you in Canada or the UK?

Last edited:

latigo

You want some informed legal advice?

THEN FORGET ABOUT IT!

An expression by someone of what “THEY THINK” another person might do in the future, or in their opinion is capable of doing, does not amount to actionable defamation.

Were the ex mother-in-law to have falsely told the same people that you had actually committed a homicide, that would be an actionable tort. But these musings are neither slanderous per se nor slanderous per quod.

So let go of it and don't give her the satisfaction of knowing she's getting under your thin skin.

quincy

Well, latigo, you are right about one thing. If sallyusa wants some informed legal advice she can forget about getting it in your post. ;)

An expression by someone of what they think another person may do in the future, or in their opinion is capable of doing, can most certainly amount to actionable defamation. Opinions are safe to express only if they do not state or imply any false defamatory fact - this no matter how many "I thinks" or "I believes" may be tossed into the opinion.

So your post is absolutely wrong - not that it makes much difference in this particular thread if sally is not sallyusa but sallyfromsomeothercountry.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Well, latigo, you are right about one thing. If sallyusa wants some informed legal advice she won't get it in your post. ;)

An expression by someone of what they think another person may do in the future, or in their opinion is capable of doing, can most certainly amount to actionable defamation. Opinions are safe to express only if they do not state or imply any false defamatory fact - this no matter how many "I thinks" or "I believes" may be tossed into the opinion.

So your post is absolutely wrong - not that it makes much difference in this particular thread if sally is not sallyusa but sallyfromsomeothercountry.
he he he...thanks for the giggle:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">