• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pomobizznezz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

You deleted your thread. Which tells me you not as attuned to the internet as you think you are. You cannot sue a celebrity for reposting your picture or information anymore than you can sue me for finding out what your name is and where you live. It took less than 10 seconds. You put it out there and there are consequences. The fact that you don't think the consequences does not mean it is a lawsuit. You got rude then when I explained it to you and told me to move along. The problem is I was right. As was Quincy. You deleted good information from him. Mores the pity that you don't understand how easily you put yourself in the position that happened.

While no one deserves to be threatened, you don't have a lawsuit against the celebrity you insulted. You could have legal action against the people threatening you depending on the threats. But most likely they don't have deep pockets like the celebrity you want to sue.

I wish you the best. I hope you obtain the ability to be greater today than you were yesterday.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The thread that disappeared

Do I have a case and if so what kind?

I posted a comment on Instagram last night about a reality star on another persons page. I didn't slander this "Celebrity", and I use that term loosely, in anyway I simply stated he seemed like a mean spirited person and why would this person hang out with someone like that. This reality "Star" then screen captured my comment along with my picture and name and posted it to his page and all his fans also posting my information to his Twitter account. Now I have his fans blowing up my IG page with horrible comments and threats. I can handle the hate comments but threats is another story. I want to know if there are any grounds for getting a lawyer and bringing charges agaisnt this "Celebrity" since he did copyright my information. I understand my comment is not protected under this but putting up my name and picture should be. Do I have any grounds for charges and if so what charges? Also I do have proof of him posting my information to his page because I screen captured it. I also did report this to IG since this violates there guidelines so in case they do remove the post I still have proof that this came from him. What is my next step or is this just something I'm left to deal with?
My response:
You posted the comment with your name and picture, right? Hence you have learned a valuable lesson about what you post on the internet. It is not private and it has a life of its own. You put it out there. You can't control the fact that others saw it. Or responded.

Her response:
I have no problem with people responding I expected that what I didn't expect where people to threaten me for a comment I made. Yes I did post my picture on my page I did not expect someone to repost my information. If you think its ok for people to threaten someone's life over a stupid comment then there is something wrong with your logic. Your making a comment on my post right now doesn't give me the right to repost it and have my friends threaten your life for it just because I may not like what you said does it?
My response:
That wasn't your question in the original post. You want to sue the celebrity. The celebrity didn't threaten you. And the celebrity most likely didn't tell his fans to threaten you. Unless you can prove the celebrity instigated the threats directly and told everyone to threaten you, you have no case against the celebrity. Now would you like to ask a better question?

And interestingly enough you seem to think that this celebrity isn't really one but you still believe you should be able to sue him because you could then get his money. You might want to check yourself.
Quincy:
Any threats that concern you can be reported to the police. The problem with any police report is that you probably do not know the real identities of those who have posted the threats.

The "horrible" comments are ones you will probably have to shrug off. You seem to have, unfortunately, brought them on yourself.

The reality star that used your photo and your name may have violated your copyright in the photo but, unless you took the photo yourself and registered it prior to publication online, you do not appear to have any damages you could collect or any worthwhile legal action to take.

I do not see much that you can do that would be worth your time or money, other than what you have already done, which is to report the Instagram violation to Instagram.

Sorry.
Pomobizznezz:
Just because I don't think he's a celebrity doesn't mean other people don't view him that way. I'm simply asking if I had grounds for anything your saying no because I put it out there, fine. I've heard your comment now if you don't have anything helpful to say please stop posting on my thread. I'd like to hear other peoples legal advice on the matter.
Her name is easy to find. The problem is she doesn't realize that. She really doesn't.

pomobizznezz

You deleted your thread. Which tells me you not as attuned to the internet as you think you are. You cannot sue a celebrity for reposting your picture or information anymore than you can sue me for finding out what your name is and where you live. It took less than 10 seconds. You put it out there and there are consequences. The fact that you don't think the consequences does not mean it is a lawsuit. You got rude then when I explained it to you and told me to move along. The problem is I was right. As was Quincy. You deleted good information from him. Mores the pity that you don't understand how easily you put yourself in the position that happened.

While no one deserves to be threatened, you don't have a lawsuit against the celebrity you insulted. You could have legal action against the people threatening you depending on the threats. But most likely they don't have deep pockets like the celebrity you want to sue.

I wish you the best. I hope you obtain the ability to be greater today than you were yesterday.
I deleted the post because its just not worth it and ur right I learned a valuable lesson twice in 2 days. I most certainly will not make comments I can't deal with the consequences. Really if you gave me this answer I would be happier the first time. Also I wasn't asking if I could sue him because I was going to I was just asking to know. If it was just about me I could handle it but I have a family and I can't put them in jeapordy. Thanks for your and Quincys help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I deleted the post because its just not worth it and ur right I learned a valuable lesson twice in 2 days. I most certainly will not make comments I can't deal with the consequences. Really if you gave me this answer I would be happier the first time. Also I wasn't asking if I could sue him because I was going to I was just asking to know. If it was just about me I could handle it but I have a family and I can't put them in jeapordy. Thanks for your and Quincys help.
You therefore want to dictate how we respond. YOu were told the truth the first time. I answered the question YOU ASKED. Which was could you get the celebrity for what his fans were doing. The answer to that is NO. Unless you could show he instigated it by telling his fans to threaten you.

quincy

The thread performed a rather quick disappearing act. Thanks for finding it, Ohiogal. :)

pomobizznezz, you can report any threats you receive to the police but, without the identity of those making the threats, there is little the police can do.

If the photo that was used by the reality star was taken by you, then you hold the copyright in it. However, unless the photo was registered with the Copyright Office prior to publication*, you are not eligible to collect the statutory damages of between $750 to $30,000 for the unauthorized use. Without proof of economic harm, you have no infringement action to pursue.

The "horrible" comments that were posted by others in response to your horrible comments about the reality star will need to be shrugged off. Again, there is a problem with identifying who is doing the posting.

There is no apparent legal action for you to take. You have already reported the Instagram violation to Instagram, which was smart. The only other action would be to report any threats to the police - and little stands to come from that for the reasons I cited above.

Sorry, pomobizznezz. I know this was not what you wanted to hear.

(most of this is a repeat, as can be seen in the thread quoted by Ohiogal)

*it is a little more involved than this

Last edited:

pomobizznezz

You therefore want to dictate how we respond. YOu were told the truth the first time. I answered the question YOU ASKED. Which was could you get the celebrity for what his fans were doing. The answer to that is NO. Unless you could show he instigated it by telling his fans to threaten you.
Yes you did I just didn't realize it. Thank you. I do have another question. Besides just not commenting on peoples post how do you not let people find you so easily as you and Quincy said you were able to? Now I see how all these people on the Dr Phil show end up with problems.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes you did I just didn't realize it. Thank you. I do have another question. Besides just not commenting on peoples post how do you not let people find you so easily as you and Quincy said you were able to. Now I see how all these people on the Dr Phil show end up with problems.
A few hints:
1) Don't use the same username for every site you post on. Use an original nickname for every site.
2) Don't connect your name to your nicknames online.
3) On sites such as facebook where you use your real name -- keep those private (only friends) and don't use your nicknames. If you have a business site, keep that separate from your personal stuff.

Those are three easy things to do immediately. You know I found you because I posted your name. I removed your name however from this thread because I didn't want to compound your issue. I wanted you to know easily that I really did find you. Change things up.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yes you did I just didn't realize it. Thank you. I do have another question. Besides just not commenting on peoples post how do you not let people find you so easily as you and Quincy said you were able to? Now I see how all these people on the Dr Phil show end up with problems.
You seem to use the same name on every site, and have linked it to your real name. That's your first mistake. And a little late to change it, either, since Google will keep them linked forever. :cool:

http://www.staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/

Last edited:

quincy

Real identities can be easy to find - unless you need to find them to pursue a legal action. Then the real identities seem to hide pretty well. :)

pomobizznezz

A few hints:
1) Don't use the same username for every site you post on. Use an original nickname for every site.
2) Don't connect your name to your nicknames online.
3) On sites such as facebook where you use your real name -- keep those private (only friends) and don't use your nicknames. If you have a business site, keep that separate from your personal stuff.

Those are three easy things to do immediately. You know I found you because I posted your name. I removed your name however from this thread because I didn't want to compound your issue. I wanted you to know easily that I really did find you. Change things up.
Thank you I appreciate that you did that. Yes I do use the same name a lot so I will change that immediately. I really didn't mean ill intention toward him but I guesss I should of thought about it. I appreciate you helping me out because I don't want people to find me that easily. I will keep ur lesson in mind the next time I think about posting something that could come back and bit me in the ass. ;-)

quincy

Thank you I appreciate that you did that. Yes I do use the same name a lot so I will change that immediately. I really didn't mean ill intention toward him but I guesss I should of thought about it. I appreciate you helping me out because I don't want people to find me that easily. I will keep ur lesson in mind the next time I think about posting something that could come back and bit me in the ass. ;-)
I don't know what reality star you wrote about, pomobizznezz, but if it makes you feel any better, I think he is a bit of a jerk to do what he did. Your original comments about him being mean-spirited seem pretty accurate. ;)

pomobizznezz

I don't know what reality star you wrote about, pomobizznezz, but if it makes you feel any better, I think he is a bit of a jerk to do what he did. Your original comments about him being mean-spirited seem pretty accurate. ;)
Thanks Quincy a lot of people agreed with me but since I'm the one said it I got the end part. But I do feel a little better. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">