• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

posible slander/defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taddles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

not sure if there is an issue here or not but would appreciate an opinion. first off, i was let go by my job and told poor work performance, manager instructed me to put lack of work on unemployment. i was full time and they are hiring part time. i do know there are financial hardships within in the company and i know the owner was hoping in january that someone would look for another job when our insurance ratesky rocketed. this did not happed. i do not have a problem being the chosen one to be let go.

However, she fought my unemployment stating willful misconduct. i won the appeal. i know you are thinking why am i posting this here and not in the employment section. well it has come to my attention from a prospective job possibility that she has been saying more then just verifying that yes i worked there from this date to that date. she has been saying negative things that are essentially harmfull to my reputation as a good employee making me feel this will be an impossible job search. considering it cannot look that good if you tell them "no do not contact previous employer or reference"

Please advise...

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

not sure if there is an issue here or not but would appreciate an opinion. first off, i was let go by my job and told poor work performance, manager instructed me to put lack of work on unemployment. i was full time and they are hiring part time. i do know there are financial hardships within in the company and i know the owner was hoping in january that someone would look for another job when our insurance ratesky rocketed. this did not happed. i do not have a problem being the chosen one to be let go.

However, she fought my unemployment stating willful misconduct. i won the appeal. i know you are thinking why am i posting this here and not in the employment section. well it has come to my attention from a prospective job possibility that she has been saying more then just verifying that yes i worked there from this date to that date. she has been saying negative things that are essentially harmfull to my reputation as a good employee making me feel this will be an impossible job search. considering it cannot look that good if you tell them "no do not contact previous employer or reference"

Please advise...
**A: well, what do you want to do?

taddles

obviously hold her responsible for defaming my reputation and making it very difficult to secure gainful employment

taddles

that i was terminated from her place of employment for willful misconduct but would not disclose what my behavior was, i go into an interview saying i was let go due to lack of work and she opposed this stating the other reason. when asked if she would re hire me, she said absolutely not

swalsh411

Saying she would not hire you again is not defamation. However, the other thing might be. You can prove you were not fired for willful misconduct because you won your unemployment appeal.

You may have grounds to sue if you can show she has harmed you by these lies. You would need to speak with an attorney to say for sure and what the next steps would be.

csi7

If what you really want is the exact information this person is providing to people in reference to your performance, have someone not related to you call for a job reference.

This way provides you with the information you need to make the job reference a positive one, even with negative responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">