• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjc1136

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

i worked at a night club several years ago. a man attacked one of my co-workers from behind. i then grabbed him from behind and took him to the ground. i held him down for 15 sec approximately by his shoulders. another bouncer the came over and i got up and went outside to deal with another situation. while i was holding the man on the ground he was trying to fight and threatening to kill me.

when i came back inside several minutes later, the other bouncers were still dealing with the guy. i didnt pay it any attention because i had others things that needed taken care of.

i went back outside and then came back in. i looked down at the man and he looked like he was unconscious. the manager called 911. the ambulance came and took him to the hospital. he died two weeks later. according to the medical examiner, it was due to an "enlarged heart process."

the autopsy revealed that his blood alcohol content was 3 times the legal limit, he had amphetamines in his system, he was on prescription sleep drugs, he had sleep apnea, and he had a pre-existing enlarged heart condition.

after reviewing the surveillance video,the investigating county authorities, told me that there was not enough evidence to even charge me with an assault charge. no criminal charges were ever filed.

a year and a half later i woke up to find my name in the local paper. the widow of the man was suing two other bouncers, the club owner and i for wrongful death.

the open paragraph of the article said that i put the man in a sleeper hold that he never awoke from. this is untrue. the article didnt say according to a lawsuit, or allegedly, it said that i DID put him in a sleeper hold.

is a newspaper allowed to do this? the article was published last year and since then, i can not go anywhere without someone coming up to me and saying, "i heard you ......" its getting pretty old. especially since it isnt true.

do i have a defamation case?

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">