• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

posting private information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chellz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Is it illegal for someone to post another persons private info in a public forum?
There is a certain actor on Twitter who tweets about his work and other things. He did an interview talking about a storyline of rape. Someone posted to please have a little more class and be more respectful on the subject because it is such a sensitive subject.
This guy replied
@blank
If I ever find myself off "name of street" Rd I will be sure to stop by.
First, is it legal for him to post anothers street name on a public forum?
Also, Can this be viewed as a threat because he said he would stop by?
I am just curious, because I find this so wrong and almost can't believe he wrote that, but he did.
The actor lives in LA.

justalayman

Unless that street has only 1 house on it, it is meaningless. As to stopping by; without knowing the entire conversation, for all I know it could be a statement they were going to come by to apologize.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Is it illegal for someone to post another persons private info in a public forum?
There is a certain actor on Twitter who tweets about his work and other things. He did an interview talking about a storyline of rape. Someone posted to please have a little more class and be more respectful on the subject because it is such a sensitive subject.
This guy replied

First, is it legal for him to post anothers street name on a public forum?
Also, Can this be viewed as a threat because he said he would stop by?
I am just curious, because I find this so wrong and almost can't believe he wrote that, but he did.
The actor lives in LA.

..and frankly, the person who responded was a twit.

Complaining to an actor about a storyline? REALLY?

Wouldn't the mature, rational thing have been to simply stop following him on Twitter if it was so offensive?

Cripes, had I been him I'd make a point of ensuring I went ahead with the storyline.

It obviously garners attention...

justalayman

Twitter comes in right behind Facebook as the most useless use of computer tech I can think of. Why would a person want to read constant updates about some person that has no idea who they are? Is everybody that dull or bored that they have to read about when some "famous person" ate their lunch or took a poop?

Proserpina

Twitter comes in right behind Facebook as the most useless use of computer tech I can think of. Why would a person want to read constant updates about some person that has no idea who they are? Is everybody that dull or bored that they have to read about when some "famous person" ate their lunch or took a poop?

No. Kidding.

You know what's worse though? The folk who become/became quasi-famous just because they Tweet. (There's one in particular I'm thinking of who actually got herself on the Carson Daly Show. Smh)

Though I will admit that I FB.

chellz

OP's question seems to be predicated on his (incorrect) understanding of what "private" information is.
Yes, you're right. That's the reason I asked.
However, no one who replied with an answer to my question. Is it illegal to post it on a public forum, AND state they will be dropping by. I understand everyone's reaction, it may seem like a stupid question. This happened to my neice, my sister called me and asked if his comments were illegal, not knowing the answer, I asked the question here.(obviously the wrong move.;))
As far as these social networks, I agree 100%. And it is the reason I am not a member of any of them, and don't allow my children to join either. However, for me, facebook is a parenting tool. I know everything about my kid's peers and school mates before they do. It is very helpful used in that fashion.
Thanks everyone for your knowledgeable replies

Antigone*

Yes, you're right. That's the reason I asked.
However, no one who replied with an answer to my question. Is it illegal to post it on a public forum, AND state they will be dropping by. I understand everyone's reaction, it may seem like a stupid question. This happened to my neice, my sister called me and asked if his comments were illegal, not knowing the answer, I asked the question here.(obviously the wrong move.;))
As far as these social networks, I agree 100%. And it is the reason I am not a member of any of them, and don't allow my children to join either. However, for me, facebook is a parenting tool. I know everything about my kid's peers and school mates before they do. It is very helpful used in that fashion.
Thanks everyone for your knowledgeable replies

Our replies were subtle nos; but I guess you did't get that so here it is. No it is not illegal and no that information is not private.

CSO286

First, the street name is not private data, it is public data, and as such can be posted online.

Second, there is nothing illegal about what was tweeted.

Third, the tweeter never stated what the purpose of the visit is. No threat there. Now, had the tweeter stated he was going to stop by and kick some azz, then there might be a threat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">