• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy in Student Housing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hector C

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I didn't really know where to put this, and I might be crazy, but I had an altercation with the resident assistant of my building (we were outside the door to my room); I told her I didn't want to talk about what we were talking about any more and asked her to leave. I asked her to leave, she refused. I said just put it in an email and we will talk about it thusly. She said no she had to talk--after which her cellphone rang and took the call. I closed the door to my room and went inside. After which she knocked on my door, and then banged loudly and yelled to me about how she was going to get me kicked out of student housing and whatnot.

Doesn't this constitute some form of harrasment? It seemed reasonable that I ask her to communicate with me via email, and I asked her to leave several times and she refused. Shouldn't one have the freedom to not be yelled at inside ones own home?

HomeGuru

I didn't really know where to put this, and I might be crazy, but I had an altercation with the resident assistant of my building (we were outside the door to my room); I told her I didn't want to talk about what we were talking about any more and asked her to leave. I asked her to leave, she refused. I said just put it in an email and we will talk about it thusly. She said no she had to talk--after which her cellphone rang and took the call. I closed the door to my room and went inside. After which she knocked on my door, and then banged loudly and yelled to me about how she was going to get me kicked out of student housing and whatnot.

Doesn't this constitute some form of harrasment? It seemed reasonable that I ask her to communicate with me via email, and I asked her to leave several times and she refused. Shouldn't one have the freedom to not be yelled at inside ones own home?
**A: it could be deemed a such. Did you file a report with her boss or top management?

Antigone*

If there isn't already a law in place that punishes rude students there should be. If were the RA I would have you tossed, but alas no such law exists. She might, however, find some policy that might help her get rid of the idiots.

Hector C

If there isn't already a law in place that punishes rude students there should be. If were the RA I would have you tossed, but alas no such law exists. She might, however, find some policy that might help her get rid of the idiots.
lol, so judgemental! woman is obese and vindictive. Tried "writing me up" for a rule which doesn't exist. She said (twice) the student handbook says you have to be in the kitchen when you have food cooking (there is no such rule, and it was dry beans in a covered pot simmering on low, which is why we were outside my room.)

I don't get your attitude or why you thought my response was inappropriate, wanna elaborate?

justalayman

, and it was dry beans in a covered pot simmering on low, which is why we were outside my room.)
?
How do you simmer dry beans? Simmering implies there is a liquid so if you were simmering the beans, they weren't dry beans now, were they?

and if the RA says we need to address this, then you address that. You are in college housing. There are special rules. Learn them, live them, love them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">