• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

professional reputation forever tarnished

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karenrrober

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri - I am licensed pharmacist in Missouri, and feel that my ex-husband has caused irretrievable damage to my professional reputation and has caused so much damage to me personally, because of insinuations and accusations he made accusing me of taking narcotics illegally and having a drug problem. I have been investigated by 2 separate employers, and the Board of Pharmacy on more than one occasion. I have been cleared of any wrong-doing, and I have done nothing wrong, but have lost so much and been through so much and have been forever tarnished as a pharmacist and it has harmed my financial standing, and my relationship with my children. Is there any recourse for me to take? I have been through hell in the past few years and want my life back.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

quincy

Missouri has a two year statute of limitations for defamation. If your ex-husband accused you falsely of being a drug user and abuser, and these accusations were communicated to others within the last two years, a defamation suit is something you could consider.

False accusations of the sort you describe can result in significant reputational injury, especially for someone in your profession (as you have already discovered). A lawsuit win can result in an award of damages for this reputational injury and you can be compensated for the economic losses you suffered as a result of the defamatory publications.

However, there are both pros and cons with a defamation suit. One con, of course, is that there is never a guarantee of a lawsuit win. Others are that legal costs are high and legal actions are time consuming (often taking years to work their way through the court system - which may increase your contact with your ex). And your ex-husband may not have income or assets enough to satisfy any damages awarded, should you win a suit against him.

With a defamation lawsuit, the defamatory comments that were made may be presented to a wider audience, as court proceedings and court records are (generally) open to the public. This can, ironically, result in more reputational injury. These court records can also be accessed by employers when doing background checks.

And monetary awards, no matter how large, cannot really repair a damaged reputation.

With all of that said, I still suggest you consult with an attorney in your area and review the facts of your situation. Perhaps a letter from the attorney to your ex-husband, advising him that you are seriously contemplating a defamation lawsuit if he does not stop making defamatory comments about you and interfering with your employment, may be enough to stop him from bothering you in the future.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">