• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

layman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa
Neighbor placed very large ugly sign up facing our house and only our house.
the sign is political in nature but my opinion of it being ugly is content neutral.
It is a form of harassment to us.

Can I stand in front of their church with a sign asking them to take it down?
Assuming I am on the public sidewalk and ask about permits or ordinances first.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa
Neighbor placed very large ugly sign up facing our house and only our house.
the sign is political in nature but my opinion of it being ugly is content neutral.
It is a form of harassment to us.

Can I stand in front of their church with a sign asking them to take it down?
Assuming I am on the public sidewalk and ask about permits or ordinances first.
So the sign is on their property? What does the sign say?

layman

It is a collage of campagin signs. it is dilapidated. it was up during the election in the front of their yard in everyones view and then down for about a year and a half.
After a noise complaint they put the sign up facing only us.
People who do see it think it is a form of harassment. even if it is legal.

They have every right to free speech. Don't I?

davidmcbeth3

Is your sign going to say "Jesus would not have this sign [pic of their sign] on his lawn"?

You could have a sign saying "signs like this [pic of their sign] should be outlawed" .... then its political ! Free speech 100%

layman

I was literally just going to ask if they would please not point the sign into our yard.
I would not have to use their names even.

Just "Would the owner of this sign please not face it into our yard?"

Or, "Please pray that our neighbor takes down their sign facing our yard"

People make prayer requests all the time....

I don't think that free speech should be stifled. In my opinion, in this instance, the sign has nothing to do with free speech and free speech is being hijacked to harass and annoy.

I would not want to suggest that political signs be outlawed. But time, place and manner of display are reasonable (prayer) requests to make (IMO).

layman

Well, if that is your advice no wonder why it free (lol).I came to the right place for free advice!

I wonder if you would feel the same way if everytime you looked out the window you faced a big ugly sign.

At least they go to church...in my opinion they need it.

Silverplum

Well, if that is your advice no wonder why it free (lol).I came to the right place for free advice!

I wonder if you would feel the same way if everytime you looked out the window you faced a big ugly sign.

At least they go to church...in my opinion they need it.
Well, Zigner and I had a POINT. If you let them know that it bothers you that much, they will ENJOY it so much more.

Ignore them and they will grow bored of bugging you and go bug someone else.

;)

quincy

Why don't you post your own ugly sign in your yard and have it face their house? Juvenile, yes, but it won't require a city permit and you won't risk having others think you are acting like a juvenile as you might by walking back and forth in front of their church.

Or you could post a pretty sign in your yard, large enough to block out their ugly one. Maybe one with daffodils. ;)

layman

We ignore an unbelievable amount of stuff.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy our house if we decided to move.

layman

I am not going to put up another sign. dumb.
I did plant about 500 more tulips and daffodils in our yard though. Just to make it look extra nice in contrast to the ratty sign. I did not plant them in front of the sign though.

quincy

Ignoring is good.

Perhaps you may want to think about planting a hedge this spring, to block out your view of the neighbor's yard. And this natural block would have the additional benefit of making your house more saleable in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">