• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Defamation and Libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rss245

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Please note the following problem:
an ISP has allowed falsehoods to be posted on its website. These are not subjective statements by any means flat out lies:
e.g the culprit did not file any complaints with the better business bureau , however he claimed he did. We believe this invalidates all his posts.
So far the ISP has ignored our attempts at removing the reviews which by validation of that review where the culprit states he filed a complaint have been verified.

As I understand it there is a way to:
(1) Sue the ISP for discovery leading to exposing the culprit's physical
address and real name
(2) Then a standard defamation/Libel suit could be made based on the verified lie(falsehood)
(3) This would be a normal Libel suit and due to the clearly false claim should invalidate all other false reviews posted or so that is my belief
But just to identify the person responsible for the false claim seems reasonable. Had this culprit filed a claim with the better business bureau a solution to his initial bad reviews could have been found but there has been no such behavior by the culprit

Can someone send me some documentation steps specific procedure:
e.g find ISP incorporation state to file against them for discovery
which is the first step as they will not remove the review until there is a suit
pending as I understand it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">