• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about internet impersonation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Docto

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California/Indiana/Georgia

Internet impersonation question.
The husband of a woman ("cyber-girlfriend") I had been chatting with on Facebook forcibly assumed control of the woman's account (using spyware). He then used this false identity to obtain incriminating information from me--information I would never have communicated if this person had not directly questioned and prodded me about (i.e. "What would you give up to be with me?", etc.). Furthermore, he used this false identity to obtain my wife's email address, asking her for her email address under false pretense that "she" had some old high school photos of me that she wanted to share.

Once he got the email address, he then revealed himself to my wife, and that he had pretended to be my cyber-girlfriend in highly sexually-charged chats with me. Included were several document attachments of previously obtained chats between me and the woman, as well as the transcript of the chat with him impersonating her.

I feel that I have been deceived and/or defrauded into divulging information that has been incredibly damaging to my marriage. This man orchestrated this action over the course of 7 or 8 days, and was deliberate in his intention to damage my marriage. My wife has been extremely traumatized by this (she's not spoken to me for 2 days now, as of this moment). I am facing a potential divorce now, because of this.

What should I do, and what is my recourse?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

The husband of a woman ("cyber-girlfriend") I had been chatting with on Facebook forcibly assumed control of the woman's account (using spyware). He then used this false identity to obtain incriminating information from me--information I would never have communicated if this person had not directly questioned and prodded me about (i.e. "What would you give up to be with me?", etc.). Furthermore, he used this false identity to obtain my wife's email address, asking her for her email address under false pretense that "she" had some old high school photos of me that she wanted to share.

Once he got the email address, he then revealed himself to my wife, and that he had pretended to be my cyber-girlfriend in highly sexually-charged chats with me. Included were several document attachments of previously obtained chats between me and the woman, as well as the transcript of the chat with him impersonating her.

I feel that I have been deceived and/or defrauded into divulging information that has been incredibly damaging to my marriage. This man orchestrated this action over the course of 7 or 8 days, and was deliberate in his intention to damage my marriage. My wife has been extremely traumatized by this (she's not spoken to me for 2 days now, as of this moment). I am facing a potential divorce now, because of this.

What should I do, and what is my recourse?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'm not entirely sure what your goal is here. You were caught with your cyberpants down and you want to see if you have legal recourse against your cybergirlfriend's husband?

What recourse are you looking for exactly?

swalsh411

I'm calling troll, but just in case..... your recourse is to hope your wife can forgive you and to stop having "highly sexually charged chats". In fact, you should probably allow your wife to install spyware which lets her see what you do online.

Even if you could sue the husband do you really want your infidelity made public?

You caused the damage to your marriage. This guy just exposed it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Pot, meet kettle!

DAD10

An individual whom sends spyware/keylogging programs to another is illegal.
The person whom does so has a tendency to be insecure, and deficient in inter personal relationships. Good communication still is key.
Misunderstandings as a result can terminate a relationship.

You guys and gal are right-I'm calling troll.

Docto

Not troll. Honestly.

I think my point here is that I see language in the Code that specifically states that it is an actionable offense to deliberately impersonate another person online with intent for malice. Given that my wife and daughter are innocent, does they not have recourse?

What I would like to know is can I get an apology out of him?

He could have handled this situation 10 different ways, ALL in ways that would have resulted in a disengagement of the situation without additional pain and suffering by innocent parties. Furthermore, I would have NEVER volunteered the information had I not been specifically misinformed and directly interrogated regarding the subject by a person I thought was someone else.

Sorry if I'm wasting your time.

Silverplum

Not troll. Honestly.

I think my point here is that I see language in the Code that specifically states that it is an actionable offense to deliberately impersonate another person online with intent for malice. Given that my wife and daughter are innocent, does they not have recourse?
Yes. Your wife can throw your cheating butt out, and your daughter is entitled to child support from you.

Docto said:
Ha!

Docto said:
He could have handled this situation 10 different ways, ALL in ways that would have resulted in a disengagement of the situation without additional pain and suffering by innocent parties.
So could YOU have done, Cheaty.

Docto said:
Furthermore, I would have NEVER volunteered the information had I not been specifically misinformed and directly interrogated regarding the subject by a person I thought was someone else.
Oooh! Drama! Interrogation!

:rolleyes:

Docto

There's one more thing: In the transcript, she and I had ALREADY agreed to disengage the chats, or at least get away from the charged stuff. That's just the time when he takes over the account and chases me down over the next week to get my "confession."

Again, sorry to waste your time. You can judge me based on the circumstances, but I was duped. You'd cry foul on him if he came over and spraypainted my car or torched my house, would you not?

Proserpina

Not troll. Honestly.

He could have handled this situation 10 different ways, ALL in ways that would have resulted in a disengagement of the situation without additional pain and suffering by innocent parties. Furthermore, I would have NEVER volunteered the information had I not been specifically misinformed and directly interrogated regarding the subject by a person I thought was someone else.

Sorry if I'm wasting your time.

If you were in cybernaughties with his wife, I have to ask...how on earth did you NOT realize that you weren't talking to her?!

How do you know SHE wasn't actually masquerading as HIM, and sending the information to your wife?

Proserpina

There's one more thing: In the transcript, she and I had ALREADY agreed to disengage the chats, or at least get away from the charged stuff. That's just the time when he takes over the account and chases me down over the next week to get my "confession."

Again, sorry to waste your time. You can judge me based on the circumstances, but I was duped. You'd cry foul on him if he came over and spraypainted my car or torched my house, would you not?

Dude, really....you dipped your paintbrush into someone else's paint pot...you really can't cry foul here.

Or to stay with your analogy - you sprayed first.

Antigone*

If you were in cybernaughties with his wife, I have to ask...how on earth did you NOT realize that you weren't talking to her?!

How do you know SHE wasn't actually masquerading as HIM, and sending the information to your wife?
Yet another resident of Karmaville:D

Silverplum

Your WIFE was duped.

YOU were stupid.

Words have precise meanings. ;)

Docto

Because he admitted it in his email to my wife. Stated that he took control of the account and posed as her. Sent the email from his work address.

Then in another email from her account to me, she said that he'd been posing as her since a certain date.

Proserpina

Because he admitted it in his email to my wife. Stated that he took control of the account and posed as her. Sent the email from his work address.

Then in another email from her account to me, she said that he'd been posing as her since a certain date.

You realize, right, that you could have been having a dalliance with him all along?

Seriously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">