• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about lawyers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cupcake2121

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I currently have a case pending with my lawyer, however, he called my parents and told them I was using drugs, and made some pretty harsh statments, all which have caused me alot of trouble now. I am not using drugs, and most of the statements he made were lies. I'm just wondering if this is legal to do? I gave him the ok to call my parents and update them about my case, but I didnt bargain for this. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

quincy

It could depend on the purpose behind your attorney's communication with your parents.

Connecticut's Rules of Professional Conduct states that an attorney "shall not knowingly make a false statement of material fact or law to a third person" but it also states that an attorney "shall not fail to disclose a material fact when disclosure is necessary to avoid assisting a criminal or fraudulent act by a client."

An attorney can reveal information about his client without it being an ethical violation if the information revealed is seen as necessary to prevent his client from committing a criminal or fraudulent act, mitigate the consequences of such an act, or when its purpose is to assist in establishing a defense for his client.

Generally an attorney will not reveal information relating to his representation of client unless his client has given him "informed" consent to do so, however.

What did your attorney tell you was the reason for his wanting to communicate with your parents? What did your attorney say was his reason for telling your parents you used illegal drugs? What exactly is the nature of your pending case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">