• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

innocentdragon1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
I am the respondant in a probate case. a petition was filed against me by a relative in superior court regarding determining validity of constructive trust.
However, there are many,many statements made on this petition that are absolutely libelous and not true.I feel these statements have ruined me personally?

innocentdragon1

thank you for your answer

Wow! maybe i should pose a case and accuse someone else of killing their own mother. hey,my relative did it to me and well, i guess according to your answer "it's totally legal". cool thing is that as a plaintiff i can get a lawyer like my relative did,on contingency basis.instead of being taken for 10's of thousands of dollars and paying for a lawyer.What a system.too bad i was raised to tell the truth.wish i had known that did not apply in a court of law.

Quaere

Captain Picard is correct, court pleadings are privileged and therefore not actionable.

People do not tell the truth in court.

quincy

Hey, Quaere. It is nice to see you back and posting here!

innocentdragon, I know very little about probate law, but I have a few questions about your situation.

What roles in this probate case do you and your relative play? Are either of you petitioning the court, or have either of you petitioned the court, to become administrator of (what I assume is) your mother's estate? Is this where the dispute is arising? Against whom did the court impose the constructive trust?

Generally, to my knowledge (which admittedly is limited), if you have any objections to any petition filed, you would call the probate examiner's office to make your objection known. A hearing will be scheduled to address your objections and it is in this hearing where you would dispute the false and potentially defamatory statements that have been made.

With that said, what Captian Picard and Quaere said about statements made in the course of or in reference to a court proceeding, by any actor in the case, is true. These statements, even if false and defamatory, are considered "absolutely privileged" and would be protected from any defamation action. This is to allow for free and unfettered speech in the courtroom. The time to address any lies that are told is in the courtroom, with your own supporting evidence and testimony.

If your relative is not limiting his false and potentially defamatory comments to court papers and proceedings, however, and is communicating to others outside this protected realm any falsities that are reputationally injurious, then there is a chance that the defamatory statements could be legally challenged. For this, however, you would need to consult with an attorney in your area, for a review of all of the facts.

Edit to add a (perhaps unimportant) note: Captian Picard and Captain Picard appear to be two different members on this forum.

Last edited:

Tex78704

Any allegations in a pleading that are deemed to be redundant, impertinent, immaterial, or scandalous may be ordered stricken from the pleading upon a motion requesting such.

The most expedient and proper relief from such allegations in a petition is a motion to strike the offensive material.

Quaere

Hi Quincy. I stop by every now and then to see what's new.

You have an awful lot of time and energy into defamation law now. Do you plan to do anything with that knowledge?

Sorry to take your thread off topic Innocent Dragon. Please return to your regularly scheduled discussion!

quincy

Cute. :p :)

. . . . .and I think the regularly scheduled discussion is not being scheduled very regularly. . . . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">