• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receiving mail in ripped-open envelopes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Posting this under defamation, as I see it (apologies if it's a wrong section).

I need to understand what laws were violated if any during an outrageous event which took place in 2010. I used to receive mail correspondence from a government entity in America which always arrived in envelopes ripped open. All other mail was delivered intact. There were many, I saved several such letters and went to see a post office manager in CT.

The manager told me that I had no business bothering him. When he asked me what brought me to his office I replied that it states on US postal service that if mail is received damaged I should speak to the post office manager. His reply, delivered with a smile, was that "anyone can write anything on a website". He then told me to "go home and sleep it off".

As a new immigrant I was used to abuse in America. The "anyone can write anything on a website" gibe was heard dozens of times verbatim. But this time I felt more offended than usual. I served in US Army and the correspondence was related to my service.

In my home country discrimination based on ethnic origin is an offense listed in a penal code article. It is punishable by a harsh sentence or fine.

What laws if any were violated when this happened in Connecticut, USA? I am not interested in civil courts or complaints to his higher-ups.

Gonki

Based on what you presented, ya got nothing. A mail sorter could cause said damage.
Right. Only mail from that specific gov entity was opened on multiple occasions. It was obviously not a chance occurrence.

PS: I don't expect to have anything, it is United States America we are talking about where in my experience ethnic discrimination is equated with freedom of speech.

OHRoadwarrior

Obviously, you liked it better than your home country or you would not have come and stayed. America, Love It Or Leave It.

Right. Only mail from that specific gov entity was opened on multiple occasions. It was obviously not a chance occurrence.

PS: I don't expect to have anything, it is United States America we are talking about where in my experience ethnic discrimination is equated with freedom of speech.

Gonki

Alrighty then.
Did you have distract the conversation with the above template press about "wanting" to be in America?

I was trying to ask a serious question. I don't need another America The Great rubber stamp. I've had more of them than you'll ever know.

Please no off-top, if at all possible. Have nothing of value to say (ie "America, Love It") - just move along then.
Thank you.

CdwJava

What PROOF do you have today of an alleged crime that occurred four years ago? In fact, can you say with any certainty that a crime has been committed?

The entity responsible for investigating tampering with the US Mail would be the Postal Inspector. You can contact that office and ask if they might be interested in looking into your ancient complaint. However, investigating any four year old complaint will be nearly impossible, so don't expect much.

Gonki

What PROOF do you have today of an alleged crime that occurred four years ago? In fact, can you say with any certainty that a crime has been committed?

The entity responsible for investigating tampering with the US Mail would be the Postal Inspector. You can contact that office and ask if they might be interested in looking into your ancient complaint. However, investigating any four year old complaint will be nearly impossible, so don't expect much.

I do not want it to have it investigated, it is a lost cause. Had I wanted to press "charges" I would have done it then and there. The lobby was full of witnesses of our exchange. Of course I realize it's too late. I was humiliated and disgraced. But like I said being a new immigrant in America I took it as just another day in that wonderful country. I called USPS 800 number and left a message, that was as far as I went.

Yes I can in fact say with certainty that the event took place as I describe it. I do not need proof because I am not pressing charges. On top of it I am on the opposite side of the earth from USA. My interest in purely academical.

So my question was what law was violated if any? Assuming that the above had in fact taken place for the sake of our discussion, what are the laws that were broken? I would like to get references like their codes or website links. For example this incident as it were would be covered under penal code article 136 in my birth country:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zakonrf.info%2Fuk%2F136%2F&edit-text=&act=url

It is punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment.

Is postal inspector a law enforcement agency? What pressure if any could have P.I. applied on the post office manager who threw me and my legitimate complaint out in a derogatory fashion?

Last edited:

CdwJava

I do not need proof because I am not pressing charges. On top of it I am on the opposite side of the earth from USA. My interest in purely academical.
Academic? In what way? What do you want done?

So my question was what law was violated if any?
Impossible to say. A "ripped open" envelope does not - by itself - mean that a crime occurred. And, it might not even BE a federal offense, depending on what happened and where it happened.

Assuming that the above had in fact taken place for the sake of our discussion, what are the laws that were broken?
Assuming it occurred in a manner granting the feds jurisdiction and not a state, then you can start by searching relevant federal law in chapter 83 here:

http://law.onecle.com/uscode/18/

(Starting with section 1691)

Is postal inspector a law enforcement agency?
The Postal Inspector's office is a federal law enforcement agency. Perhaps the oldest law enforcement agency in the United States. Of course, that doesn't mean they have the inclination or the resources to investigate a case of ripped open mail.

What pressure if any could have P.I. applied on the post office manager who threw me and my legitimate complaint out in a derogatory fashion?
Not much as asking you to leave is not a crime. That would have been an issue for the Postmaster or the Postmaster General as it is an employment and personnel issue just as it would be if you had a complaint about the service you received from a manager at a retail establishment.

Gonki

Academic? In what way? What do you want done?
Gain knowledge.

Assuming it occurred in a manner granting the feds jurisdiction and not a state, then you can start by searching relevant federal law in chapter 83 here:
http://law.onecle.com/uscode/18/
(Starting with section 1691)

I was aware that opening mail is illegal. Thank you for pointing me to the source. That postal office delivered ripped-open correspondence from a specific source, singling it out as opposed to all other mail. A crime and cruel treatment took place as a I see it.

The Postal Inspector's office is a federal law enforcement agency.
Again, thanks for clearing that up.

that doesn't mean they have the inclination or the resources to investigate
Most probably.

Not much as asking you to leave is not a crime. That would have been an issue for the Postmaster or the Postmaster General as it is an employment and personnel issue just as it would be if you had a complaint about the service you received from a manager at a retail establishment.

Disregarding a citizen's lawful interest ought to be criminally punishable. Not a personnel issue, but a criminal case. This was ethnic hate with derogatory remarks honed with specifics. I have no idea why it's not illegal in America.

Proserpina

Gain knowledge.
Libraries are particularly helpful there.

I was aware that opening mail is illegal. Thank you for pointing me to the source. That postal office delivered ripped-open correspondence from a specific source, singling it out as opposed to all other mail. A crime and cruel treatment took place as a I see it.
Cruel treatment? Please do explain.

Disregarding a citizen's lawful interest ought to be criminally punishable. Not a personnel issue, but a criminal case. This was ethnic hate with derogatory remarks honed with specifics. I have no idea why it's not illegal in America.
Likely because - in your case - the US is too busy looking at mountains to bother with a teeny weeny molehill.

CdwJava

Disregarding a citizen's lawful interest ought to be criminally punishable. Not a personnel issue, but a criminal case.
But, it's not.

This was ethnic hate with derogatory remarks honed with specifics. I have no idea why it's not illegal in America.
First, you have not shown that a crime had occurred. Second, a business entity - even the Post Office - is not legally required to investigate your concerns or even treat you politely. And, third, you have not shown that your treatment was based solely upon your ethnicity. And, even if the manager was a bigoted skinhead, your recourse would have been a personnel complaint, not a criminal allegation. In the United States we have a Constitutional right to be objectionable and hold bigoted ideas - even to express them from time to time ... though it might result in discipline from an employer, and even the occasional civil suit.

So, your only real recourse was to complain to higher up management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">