• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

revealing a private email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leopard

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My wife received an unexpected email from a guy. It said that he had a crush on her. The email didn't say much more than that but it was pretty suspicious to me. We know this guy through a hiking club that we were in together a while back but he hasn't been around for a while. (BTW the guy is married). I zinged him back with an email and he responded with another email saying he was sorry, claimed he he wasn't actually trying to do anything wrong with my wife, and a lame explanation of how he was depressed and that was part of his problem. He also asked me to keep the emails and issue secret.

Would it be slander, or invasion of privacy or any kind of legal issue if we shared these emails with our church group and discussed what to about it? (Some of them do know this guy also.). Maybe it would be morally wrong to do that but I'm interested in understanding if there are any possible legal issues if we did that.

moburkes

My wife received an unexpected email from a guy. It said that he had a crush on her. The email didn't say much more than that but it was pretty suspicious to me. We know this guy through a hiking club that we were in together a while back but he hasn't been around for a while. (BTW the guy is married). I zinged him back with an email and he responded with another email saying he was sorry, claimed he he wasn't actually trying to do anything wrong with my wife, and a lame explanation of how he was depressed and that was part of his problem. He also asked me to keep the emails and issue secret.

Would it be slander, or invasion of privacy or any kind of legal issue if we shared these emails with our church group and discussed what to about it? (Some of them do know this guy also.). Maybe it would be morally wrong to do that but I'm interested in understanding if there are any possible legal issues if we did that.
You can share it, but was is the purpose of that, again? You question his morals about telling your wife that he has a crush on her, yet you....

BelizeBreeze

Grow up and put the damn thing in the trash can and move on.

Church group my ass.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't see a legal issue - but I definitely do see a moral issue. Why would you want to show this to your church group??? :confused:

seniorjudge

Q: Would it be slander, or invasion of privacy or any kind of legal issue if we shared these emails with our church group and discussed what to about it?

A: It is not defamation if the guy really had a crush on her. It would be morally reprehensible on your part to do this.

By the way, just exactly what kind of a church group would be interested in such trash?

Just wondering....:D

Just Blue

Sir, After reading all of your post, my advice is to get down on your hands and knees and thank the good lord that your wife has stayed married to you for all these years!! Develop some interests other than bad mouthing and idle gossip...gardening is nice...so isn't golf...

MyHouse

???

I don't understand why you want to show the email to people at the church. Some of the people know him, so I suppose you want to humiliate him. I understand that you are upset with him for emailing your wife, but he sounds really pathetic.... Take the high road. If you humiliate him at church then you will end up looking worse than he does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">