• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ripoffreport - case for libel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laynestaley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi, someone has posted that I am assaulted and robbed them on ripoffreport.com - YES, it is completely false. Do I have a case for libel? I highly doubt ripoffreport would reveal the person though, right? How would I prove it was actually them? I do know this person's IP address because they signed me up for a bunch of newsletters; it's basically a hate campaign.

What are my chances here? Shot in the dark, or actual chance of suing this person? They also claim they are in chapter 13 bankruptcy and that even if I found out who they were and sued them I wouldn't get anything anyway :( I can't seem to get them to leave me alone.

quincy

You can take a copy of the RipOff report to an attorney in your area for a review. It is possible to obtain the identity of an anonymous poster through a subpoena issued by a court to the website, if you can demonstrate to a court that you have a case with merit.

A successful defamation action, however, results in a monetary award of damages, designed to compensate a defamed individual for the economic losses and reputational injury suffered as a result of the defamatory statements that were published.

If the person you want to sue has no money and no assets, it is probably not worth your time, and the money it will take, to sue him.

Again, take what you have to an attorney in your area. He can best let you know if this is something that is worth pursuing, and he can also let you know what other avenues to explore to stop the individual from harassing you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">