• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Royalties?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlp31185

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I received an offer to publish a book I have been working on: an autobiography. My entire story is true, which includes real events and real people. I changed everyone's real name to a ficticious name, though.

My question is: Would someone in my book (who has a ficticious name) be able to sue me for royalities/slander/liebel? I am wondering if they might have a case, if they base it on coincedental circumstances within my story. What do you think?

I don't want to publish this book and then be hit with a million lawsuits. Can someone please help me??

Thank you!

seniorjudge

jlp31185 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I received an offer to publish a book I have been working on: an autobiography. My entire story is true, which includes real events and real people. I changed everyone's real name to a ficticious name, though.

My question is: Would someone in my book (who has a ficticious name) be able to sue me for royalities/slander/liebel? I am wondering if they might have a case, if they base it on coincedental circumstances within my story. What do you think?

I don't want to publish this book and then be hit with a million lawsuits. Can someone please help me??

Thank you!
Anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time for any reason.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
jlp31185 said:
Well thanks, that helped! ????
What you were told is about as good as it gets. Anyone can sue for any reason. Whether or not they would win is something else. And that depends entirely on the facts presented about them. Truth is ALWAYS a defense in defamation/slander/libel. Now if you want to lower your risk of being sued, get an attorney to look at your manuscript before publication to make sure you are covered.

jlp31185

Ohiogal said:
What you were told is about as good as it gets. Anyone can sue for any reason. Whether or not they would win is something else. And that depends entirely on the facts presented about them. Truth is ALWAYS a defense in defamation/slander/libel. Now if you want to lower your risk of being sued, get an attorney to look at your manuscript before publication to make sure you are covered.

Thank you! Everything I wrote is true so I should be fine. Thank you again!

PS - Buy my book when it comes out! ;-)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's true from your perception. That doesn't mean it's true from theirs.

To paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi, much of what we see as truth depends on our own point of view.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">