• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ruined me, can i sue her?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jollygreen2nd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Alright, awhile back I lived with my aunt for a few weeks and while there we had some personal issues that caused us to fight a lot and eventually got me kicked out. after moving out my aunt called the police saying that she believes I had stolen property in her house while i was living there. I had several laptop computers that I use at work, for work, on a daily basis and they all had property of written on them. the police came and confiscated the laptops and arrested me for felony theft with a $50k bond.

My aunt didnt ask me or anyone else any questions about the laptops, so she just recklessly called me thief.

as for my damages:

ruined my professional reputation
jail time.
bail money
had to sell my car to pay for attorney
pressured into resignation from my job(I'm hoping for a wrongful termination on that but that's another case with a lot more details that i wont describe here.)

If my case has been thrown out because I had reason to have those laptops and am therefore innocent, can i sue her for those damages?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Alright, awhile back I lived with my aunt for a few weeks and while there we had some personal issues that caused us to fight a lot and eventually got me kicked out. after moving out my aunt called the police saying that she believes I had stolen property in her house while i was living there. I had several laptop computers that I use at work, for work, on a daily basis and they all had property of written on them. the police came and confiscated the laptops and arrested me for felony theft with a $50k bond.

My aunt didnt ask me or anyone else any questions about the laptops, so she just recklessly called me thief.

as for my damages:

ruined my professional reputation
jail time.
bail money
had to sell my car to pay for attorney
pressured into resignation from my job(I'm hoping for a wrongful termination on that but that's another case with a lot more details that i wont describe here.)

If my case has been thrown out because I had reason to have those laptops and am therefore innocent, can i sue her for those damages?
So who did the lap tops belong to, and how did you get them? What was the disposition of your case?

jollygreen2nd

they belong to work. I had them in my car because i was transporting them from one location to another. a weekend came up and i didnt want to leave them in my car so i brought them into my aunts house and sort of forgot about them till i moved out

dont know what you mean by disposition sorry.

jollygreen2nd

by the way, my employer is fine with me having them in my home but my employer couldnt do anything once police got involved.

Antigone*

they belong to work. I had them in my car because i was transporting them from one location to another. a weekend came up and i didnt want to leave them in my car so i brought them into my aunts house and sort of forgot about them till i moved out

dont know what you mean by disposition sorry.
So for how long did you forget about them?

What has happened with your case? Why did you get fired?

jollygreen2nd

well thats why my case is being thrown out the detective did not ask my employer if it was ok. he asked my supervisor who said no and based his arrest off of that

Last edited:

jollygreen2nd

my firing actually came from higher up than my employer (HQ you could say). they pressured me into my resignation as soon as they found out i had been arrested.

justalayman

by the way, my employer is fine with me having them in my home but my employer couldnt do anything once police got involved.

BULL SH T.

all they had to do is say: nope, those are not stolen. Please return them to our employee who has the right and authority to have them in his possession but since that didn't happen...

the DA wouldn't even file the case if the employer said they were not stolen.

jollygreen2nd

BULL SH T.

all they had to do is say: nope, those are not stolen. Please return them to our employee who has the right and authority to have them in his possession but since that didn't happen...

the DA wouldn't even prosecute the case if the employer said they were not stolen.
THATS THE THING. The police did not speak to my employer EVER. they only dealt with my supervisor. The DA is going solely off of my supervisors accusation. And like i said, the case is being thrown out.

justalayman

THATS THE THING. The police did not speak to my employer EVER. they only dealt with my supervisor. The DA is going solely off of my supervisors accusation. And like i said, the case is being thrown out.
Oh, so your supervisor, the guy who would be in charge of allowing you to have these computers outside of work, said you did not have permission to have the computers.

so, if your supervisor, your boss, did not allow you to have them, just who gave you permission to have them?

If you have an action against anybody, it would be against your supervisor (but I suspect you do not have an action against him) but it would not be against your aunt. If she believed the computers to be stolen, she didn't do anything wrong. All she did is report her suspicions. It was the police that confirmed her suspicions.

btw; I like how you said you "sort of forgot about them till i moved out"

Ya, that sounds believable...NOT.

jollygreen2nd

Oh, so your supervisor, the guy who would be in charge of allowing you to have these computers outside of work, said you did not have permission to have the computers.

so, if your supervisor, your boss, did not allow you to have them, just who gave you permission to have them?

If you have an action against anybody, it would be against your supervisor (but I suspect you do not have an action against him) but it would not be against your aunt. If she believed the computers to be stolen, she didn't do anything wrong. All she did is report her suspicions. It was the police that confirmed her suspicions.

btw; I like how you said you "sort of forgot about them till i moved out"

Ya, that sounds believable...NOT.
1. my supervisor is not my boss (no power of hiring or firing)

2. My employer HAS given me permission as well as my fellow coworkers to carry and store company property in our vehicles.

3. the laptops in question are almost 7 YEARS OLD. most of them were torn apart. Why? BECAUSE THATS WHAT I DO FOR MY JOB.

4.yes i forgot about them. Why? because getting what is essentially trash back to work was not a huge priority for me.

justalayman

jollygreen2nd;2683246]1. my supervisor is not my boss (no power of hiring or firing)
a supervisor is a boss by definition regarldess of whether they can hire and fire or not

2. My employer HAS given me permission as well as my fellow coworkers to carry and store company property in our vehicles.
but they weren't in your vehicle. They were in your house, which you have just stated, was not with the permission given.

3. the laptops in question are almost 7 YEARS OLD. most of them were torn apart. Why? BECAUSE THATS WHAT I DO FOR MY JOB.
doesn't make any difference if the were Commodore 64's or Altair 8800's or Alienware M17x's. They were not yours. You did not have permission to have them at your house.

4.yes i forgot about them. Why? because getting what is essentially trash back to work was not a huge priority for me.
but you said specifically " i was transporting them from one location to another." I guess that "another location" was your bedroom.

If you were transporting them from one work location to another work location, it makes no sense you did not complete your intended path and somehow forgot about them. Not sure how you forget about several computers that you were supposedly specifically taking to some other business location and now you claim they were old and you didn't care about them enough to take them anywhere/

bottom line: your story makes no sense but even if it did, you would have no claim against your aunt for reporting her suspicions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">