• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running Research Study, but is it Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ASR21

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi, I'm running a research study which would involve me measuring the sizes of clothes at various retailers. However, are there any legal considerations? Would I be able to publish data involving the products I would measure at the store? Would I be able to publish data that had no identification of the individual store? (e. g., Mention these were the stores surveyed, but only identify each product as from Store A, Store B, etc.) I'm not sure if this would be the most appropriate forum here for this issue, but I thought it was the best I could find; if another one is more appropriate, please let me know. It would be nice to know if I would be legally justified before going out there and doing some work.

Last edited:

ASR21

Bumping thread - had no responses, advice would help me out a lot here. Not as sensational as some of the other topics here, but still could use help. Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi, I'm running a research study which would involve me measuring the sizes of clothes at various retailers. However, are there any legal considerations? Would I be able to publish data involving the products I would measure at the store? Would I be able to publish data that had no identification of the individual store? (e. g., Mention these were the stores surveyed, but only identify each product as from Store A, Store B, etc.) I'm not sure if this would be the most appropriate forum here for this issue, but I thought it was the best I could find; if another one is more appropriate, please let me know. It would be nice to know if I would be legally justified before going out there and doing some work.
If you get permission from the stores in question and possibly the manufacturer then you should have no problems. However, since we don't know the focus of your study or what it intends to prove, any answer would be wrong based solely on the facts presented.

ASR21

It's a study on body image and clothing. One part of it would be correlating various jeans of the same size (on the label) to compare to whether they really are the same dimensions or not. Common sense says no, but I am aiming to show this statistically. So, it would be nice if I could verify to observers that the jeans I used were from a reputable source, and thus identifying the store. But, I don't know how much the stores would like that. I would like to just go into the store and measure, and was considering doing it without asking the individual stores, but am soliciting advice here first. Thanks for the reply.

garrula lingua

sounds like a 20/20 segment.
Is size 8 really a size 8 (or more a 6, or 10)?

If you pay more for clothing, does the labeled size get smaller (great incentive to buy)...
aha, I knew my big-butt size 12 was really a size 8 somewhere.

I don't see why you couldn't measure clothing, as well as (or instead of) try it on in the dressingroom.
It's all part of the examination process before buying (as long as the clothing isn't damaged & the exam isn't disruptive to the store).
Why should the store curtail how thoroughly you examine the merchandise ?

If you were purchasing for someone else, you might be proceeding in the same manner - with only measurements.

As long as your statements were truthful (and provable as such) as to the measurements, I see no reason why you couldn't identify them by brand name in your paper.

You might want to purchase a pair of each mentioned, to be able to support your statements and conclusions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">