• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking advise to start a case against relatives for defemation of character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnbooboo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY, I am sorry that i shared a very long post before, i actually had to write all the details out for a lawyer in france in English so i copied pasted it and of course too long is too much.

Basically my mom and sister live in Virginia and spend most of their time slandering my older brother and myself over the years to keep us from reaching a inheritance located in the EU that we are supposed to share equally as siblings.
We had no idea it was going on for years until family members of our girlfriends, fiancés and wives stepped forward. The methods used are very deceptive, they would contact someone and tell them they are relatives or ex girlfriends of ours and that something serious took place (either in the family or police matter), they would claim that it is very important to keep it confidential and would ask them to promise never to tell anyone what they shared claiming they feared for their lives if anyone should find out, then they would tell their lies.

Their lies range in various ways to defame people, examples: During the 1980s i was engaged to a girl for about 6 months, later her family insisted to break it off, i did not see her for over a year and already moved on with a new girlfriend, but when i spoke to my fiancée she told me her parents where having a divorce because they panicked for a long period of time because my sister had told them lies that i was HIV positive, this changed their lives.
My ex then told me that my sister had nerve to contacted her a month prior and pretended something serious took place in the family, she apologized for the way she caused panic in the past and was sorry to hear a divorce was on the rise but claimed it was in their best interest because you never know, meanwhile we where virgins, Anyway she told my ex that she believed we where meant to be together and that she had to help get this new crazy girlfriend away from me, and so she asked my ex to call the girl's father and tell him i BEAT her nearly to death to scare them so bad that even if he did not believe her he rather want nothing to do with me or my family, my ex refused and immediately cut contact off from my sister, after discussing this we both decided to never speak to her again and it has been around 30+ years since we have seen my sister and recently we learned that she was responsible for the behavior of my French in laws who my wife (their daughter) refuses to speak to for not telling us what was going on and why they wanted to cause a separation between us that failed.

My in laws have been recently contacting anyone they can find on our facebook friends list, claiming they heard things from my sister (not mentioning they knew i cut her off 30s years ago) and giving the impression they need help to prosecute me because they have not seen their grand children for a few years and it is my fault, as if she is a hostage held by some abusive husband seeking ransom ., They even tried to take us to court for visitations and our French lawyers described it as a KANGAROO COURT CASE where they present complaints normally discussed in a civil matter but used the court to get me to plea guilty by threatening that if i did not agree to visitations i will be investigated psychologically and socially by the french government who will cut any aid, health care and other benefits off unless i agree., and other damages like a criminal record will be held in my name where i can never get a job in france again., the trap failed because they where forced to re file the case correctly since it was done verbally and filed within a month and i was advised to ignore any requests to appear in court to force them to present evidence for a warrant which they could not ever possibly have., and of course because it failed they decided to email people i know on facebook to simply damage my reputation.

My question is how can i stop this?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I hesitate to point this out for fear of unleashing another long diatribe, but with all this you still have not explained how any of this affects your inheritance. Or what other measurable damages you have incurred.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY, I am sorry that i shared a very long post before, i actually had to write all the details out for a lawyer in france in English so i copied pasted it and of course too long is too much.
Yes, your first thread was a bit too long. :)

My in laws have been recently contacting anyone they can find on our facebook friends list, claiming they heard things from my sister ... giving the impression they need help to prosecute me because they have not seen their grand children for a few years and it is my fault, as if she is a hostage held by some abusive husband seeking ransom ...

My question is how can i stop this?
You should rely on your attorneys in France, if you are considering a suit against your in-laws in France, but international defamation suits are difficult and extremely expensive. What your sister communicated about you in years past are outside the statute of limitations for defamation and it is highly unlikely you would find the "discovery rule" would help in your described situation.

Perhaps the easiest and least expensive thing for you to do is to eliminate Facebook from your life and, if one of your friends contacts you about what they have heard, tell them the truth (but in less detail than you provided in your first thread ;)).

If I did not address all of your concerns to your satisfaction, please let me know - but, again, you really need to rely on the attorneys you already have because they are aware of the dynamics involved and have access to all of the facts.

capnbooboo

Yes, your first thread was a bit too long. :)

If I did not address all of your concerns to your satisfaction, please let me know - but, again, you really need to rely on the attorneys you already have because they are aware of the dynamics involved and have access to all of the facts.
Laws in france do not cover defamation of character from what i am learning, only Libel and you have 10 days to provide a publication if your a public figure, anyone else seeking damages will have a hard time.

is this defamation ??
My in laws shared copies of their bank statements showing they sent moneys to Spain in order to deceive others into believing they are victims, mean while they told my wife (their daughter) that this money was a gift to pay for a catholic day care center for the kids and understood no one asked for it or needed it., but this was used as a extortion to contact members of my family they knew we cut off and have not seen since 30 years, they told them they did not want the money back but to do something about me, even my sister knew very well they where lying but because it looks like its true they insisted to go along with the kangaroo case because it helped them continue making problems over property my father owns in the EU,

For example; my in laws told us in family counseling meetings why they where causing trouble over the religions choice their daughter made blaming me, they blamed me and refuse to discuss it with her, instead they contact anyone and not just facebook friends in the USA, and french lawyers only tell me that this is not libel, where public figure represents a publication about them that is false within ten days.

So how do i stop the malicious gossip, the only advise i got is to do the same thing to them but its evil.

quincy

Laws in france do not cover defamation of character from what i am learning, only Libel and you have 10 days to provide a publication if your a public figure, anyone else seeking damages will have a hard time.

is this defamation ??
My in laws shared copies of their bank statements showing they sent moneys to Spain in order to deceive others into believing they are victims, mean while they told my wife (their daughter) that this money was a gift to pay for a catholic day care center for the kids and understood no one asked for it or needed it., but this was used as a extortion to contact members of my family they knew we cut off and have not seen since 30 years, they told them they did not want the money back but to do something about me, even my sister knew very well they where lying but because it looks like its true they insisted to go along with the kangaroo case because it helped them continue making problems over property my father owns in the EU,

For example; my in laws told us in family counseling meetings why they where causing trouble over the religions choice their daughter made blaming me, they blamed me and refuse to discuss it with her, instead they contact anyone and not just facebook friends in the USA, and french lawyers only tell me that this is not libel, where public figure represents a publication about them that is false within ten days.

So how do i stop the malicious gossip, the only advise i got is to do the same thing to them but its evil.
What you are describing in all your many posts is a dysfunctional family. There appear to be so many lies told by so many different people to so many other people that you really need to sit down with your attorney(s) and go over the facts and review your options.

In other words, your legal concerns are not something that can be handled in a forum setting. I can advise that you should NOT talk to others about your family members in the same manner they have talked about you - that only provides them with possible legal actions they can pursue against you.

Good luck.

(as a note: In France you have 3 months from date of first publication of the defamatory statements to file suit. In Virginia, the statute of limitations is one year)

Last edited:

capnbooboo

What you are describing in all your many posts is a dysfunctional family. There appear to be so many lies told by so many different people to so many other people that you really need to sit down with your attorney(s) and go over the facts and review your options.

In other words, your legal concerns are not something that can be handled in a forum setting. I can advise that you should NOT talk to others about your family members in the same manner they have talked about you - that only provides them with possible legal actions they can pursue against you.

Good luck.

(as a note: In France you have 3 months from date of first publication of the defamatory statements to file suit. In Virginia, the statute of limitations is one year)
I appreciate everyone's help here, even advising me to shorted the whole story so i can present it more clearer

What is interesting that you mention the time limitations, someone must of advised them about this or they would of never asked those they lied to keep it confidential, for example when i found out my in laws got in touch with my sister who i cut off over 30 years ago my wife called them asking when they heard all this but they said they could not tell us because they promised not too.

quincy

I appreciate everyone's help here, even advising me to shorted the whole story so i can present it more clearer

What is interesting that you mention the time limitations, someone must of advised them about this or they would of never asked those they lied to keep it confidential, for example when i found out my in laws got in touch with my sister who i cut off over 30 years ago my wife called them asking when they heard all this but they said they could not tell us because they promised not too.
It can be important when speaking with an attorney to present just pertinent details and necessary facts. All minutes a lawyer spends on a case (including time spent listening to calls or reading emails or letters) are going to cost a client money. It is always best to consider exactly what questions or concerns you have, before talking to your lawyer, and eliminate all of the extraneous information. Your lawyer will ask for additional details if needed.

It is too bad that you didn't know lies were being told about you for years but it is probably the case that many who heard your sister's tales did not believe them.

Good luck with whatever actions you decide to take (legal or otherwise), capnbooboo.

capnbooboo

It can be important when speaking with an attorney to present just pertinent details and necessary facts. All minutes a lawyer spends on a case (including time spent listening to calls or reading emails or letters) are going to cost a client money. It is always best to consider exactly what questions or concerns you have, before talking to your lawyer, and eliminate all of the extraneous information. Your lawyer will ask for additional details if needed.

It is too bad that you didn't know lies were being told about you for years but it is probably the case that many who heard your sister's tales did not believe them.

Good luck with whatever actions you decide to take (legal or otherwise), capnbooboo.
Well all those people who heard these things told me they did not know what to think, most where girls and fell for it, especially the relatives of long term girlfriends,

This was plotted very well between a crooked lawyer, my sister and mother, not exactly aimed to destroy my reputation or bring doubt and mistrust between me and work colleagues but to make sure no family members of any long term potential bride wanted anything to do with me and my crazy family true or false., because me getting married means i get a Tax iD / residence card in the EU country my dad's real estate is as well as access to my inheritance which states when i marry i have the right to withdraw all the real estate money accumulated from renting a property since 1976 and the deed, my sister already got her property but both have been marked as obtainable only once we marry unless we refuse to and only get it once my dad dies, my dad is now old and has no time to even over look the property

Last edited:

quincy

Well all those people who heard these things told me they did not know what to think, most where girls and fell for it, especially the relatives of long term girlfriends,

This was plotted very well between a crooked lawyer, my sister and mother, not exactly aimed to destroy my reputation or bring doubt and mistrust between me and work colleagues but to make sure no family members of any long term potential bride wanted anything to do with me and my crazy family true or false., because me getting married means i get a Tax iD / residence card in the EU country my dad's real estate is as well as access to my inheritance which states when i marry i have the right to withdraw all the real estate money accumulated from renting a property since 1976 and the deed, my sister already got her property but both have been marked as obtainable only once we marry unless we refuse to and only get it once my dad dies, my dad is now old and has no time to even over look the property
You have a complicated situation for sure. I am happy you have an attorney working with you. Good luck.

capnbooboo

You have a complicated situation for sure. I am happy you have an attorney working with you. Good luck.
we only had an attorney for the visitations case, she was not a criminal lawyer or knows one

do you know any in the EU, i cant seem to find many who speak English in the south, they say they do but when i get them on the phone they dont know what to do or anyone that could

quincy

we only had an attorney for the visitations case, she was not a criminal lawyer or knows one

do you know any in the EU, i cant seem to find many who speak English in the south, they say they do but when i get them on the phone they dont know what to do or anyone that could
We cannot provide attorney references on this site. You can ask the attorney you know for references or check an international directory for attorneys who practice in the area of France in question.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">