• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex chat disclaimer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NHfather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH.
I'm courious to know if this statement has any Legal merrit?
Any institutions, individuals, and/or third parties using this site and/or any of its associated sites for studies or projects, and/or any duplication (for any reason) and/or posting to any site.You do NOT have our permission to use any of our profile and/or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a serious violation of our privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications under the Privacy Act.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, basically, you are offering a service that says the users cannot use the service at all ("in an form). :confused::confused:

Searchertwin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH.
Any institutions, individuals, and/or third parties using this site and/or any of its associated sites for studies or projects, and/or any duplication (for any reason) and/or posting to any site.You do NOT have our permission to use any of our profile and/or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a serious violation of our privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications under the Privacy Act.
If you can copy and paste it, you can do what you want. They can block you if they really don''t want you to use what on their site.

What are they going to do? Slap your computer?

If I am wrong, please advise with back-up.

Usually, they indicate to send them permission to use their stuff.

justalayman

it might. Everything you see there is covered by copyright so they have that to restrict your usage. As far as privacy; is access to the site limited to members or some such situation where you have to agree to a TOS to view the material? If so, you are bound by the TOS.

quincy

What searchertwin wrote is not true. Just because you can copy and paste what you see on a website does not mean it is legal to do so.

The holder of the rights to the material can do more than "slap your computer" for using material that appears on their site - the holder of the rights can slap you with a costly infringement suit and, potentially, take other legal actions against you. What legal actions can arise from the use of any material pilfered from a website would depend in large part on what material is pilfered and how it is used.

The sex chat "disclaimer" does not really prevent someone from using the material, however. While a user should adhere to any terms of service they have agreed to when visiting a website, there is nothing that can prevent them from violating the terms of service. There are only possible repercussions (legal or otherwise) if they violate these terms.

No disclaimer will prevent someone from suing over what is published.

Searchertwin

What searchertwin wrote is not true. Just because you can copy and paste what you see on a website does not mean it is legal to do so.

The holder of the rights to the material can do more than "slap your computer" for using material that appears on their site - the holder of the rights can slap you with a costly infringement suit and, potentially, take other legal actions against you. What legal actions can arise from the use of any material pilfered from a website would depend in large part on what material is pilfered and how it is used.

The sex chat "disclaimer" does not really prevent someone from using the material, however. While a user should adhere to any terms of service they have agreed to when visiting a website, there is nothing that can prevent them from violating the terms of service. There are only possible repercussions (legal or otherwise) if they violate these terms.

No disclaimer will prevent someone from suing over what is published.
Thanks for correcting. My niece kept telling me the same thing, that you can't. This was the best time to get a different view. Sadly, I have to eat crow now and agree with her on computer stuff.

quincy

Well, searchertwin, turkey and chicken and duck are all pretty good to eat. . . . . . . so maybe crow won't be too bad. :)

NHfather

It's my stuff

The site is Adult Friend Finder and the disclaimer is for my profile and all the content I posted to it. If someone takes that info and used it to hurt me publicly. Do I have any right to sue them for using without permission? Does my posting the disclaimer grant me the right to take legal action against said party? Yes it is a paying member site.

quincy

It is not your disclaimer that allows you to seek legal recourse against anyone who takes what you have published and uses it for their own purposes. It would be the purpose to which this material was used that could potentially support a legal action.

What a disclaimer does is to warn the public of limits to use that have been imposed on the published information. But, like a law, some in the public may ignore a disclaimer and do what they want anyway. There is nothing, in other words, that can prevent someone from stealing a sweater from a store or from stealing information from a website, should they decide to violate a law or website terms of service.

If someone takes your profile photo, for example, and then republishes this photo on another site, the holder of the copyright in the photo (generally the photographer who took the photo) can potentially sue the unauthorized user for copyright infringement.

If the profile photo is pilfered and published along with defamatory text, a defamation suit may be possible.

If the profile photo is taken and photo-shopped and republished in a way that is reputationally injurious (the image is photoshopped onto someone else's naked body, for instance), a defamation suit or an invasion of privacy/false light suit may be possible.

Any other invasion of privacy action can be iffier, because any time anyone intentionally and willingly makes their private information publicly available by posting it on the internet (even if the site it is published on is a "private" or members-only site), it is no longer considered private information.

When you decide to disclose private information (or any information) about yourself on the internet, you run the risk of this information being used by others in ways you do not wish or intend.

Last edited:

NHfather

So if my ex mother in law took risque pic's from the site and showed them about town is there anything I can do legally to punish her? I can't stop her from doing what's already been done. But is there any recource on my behalf?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So if my ex mother in law took risque pic's from the site and showed them about town is there anything I can do legally to punish her? I can't stop her from doing what's already been done. But is there any recource on my behalf?
quincy posted:
Any other invasion of privacy action can be iffier, because any time anyone intentionally and willingly makes their private information publicly available by posting it on the internet (even if the site it is published on is a "private" or members-only site), it is no longer considered private information.

When you decide to disclose private information (or any information) about yourself on the internet, you run the risk of this information being used by others in ways you do not wish or intend.
quincy posted your answer; here it is again. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">