• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was sitting in my hospital room when two cops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What is the name of your state, Latverian, and what happened in your hospital room?

Defamation laws vary by state but here is some general information on defamation provided for your benefit.

Defamation is communication which exposes a person to ridicule or contempt, lowers a person in the esteem of others, causes a person to be shunned by others, or injures a person in his/her business or profession.

There are two categories of defamation. Libel is written or broadcast or sometimes pictorial defamation. Slander is oral or spoken defamation.

There are five elements to defamation that must be met for a defamation claim to be successful.

One element is the "publication" or the communication of defamatory material to (at least) a third person - one person other than the person defamed. Another element is "identification." The person claiming defamation must show that the defamatory statement that was made referred to them, through either being identified by name or identifiable by content. A third element that must be shown is the "defamation." The statement that is communicated must be false and harmful to the person's reputation. The fourth element that must be proved is "fault." The person claiming defamation must prove (in most states) that the statement was communicated with either negligence or actual malice. Negligence is the failure to exercise the standard of care that a reasonable person would have exercised in a similar situation. Actual malice is the deliberate intent to commit an injury. The fifth element is the "injury" that was suffered as a result of the defamation.The statement must cause harm. There must be a loss to the reputation, often demonstrated by a corresponding economic loss or a loss of standing in the community.

So ... did the police officers come to your hospital room and somehow cause you severe reputational injury?

Last edited:

Latverian

They just walked in and said a staff member at the hospital called them and said I hired a hitman to murder one of their doctors.

Its not the police iim upset with its the hospital. Why in the world would they do such a thing. I left immediately. I was so upset. I yanked both IVs out. Blood was every where. I ended up calling another ambulance that night to go to a different hospitsl

quincy

They just walked in and said a staff member at the hospital called them and said I hired a hitman to murder one of their doctors.

Its not the police iim upset with its the hospital. Why in the world would they do such a thing. I left immediately. I was so upset. I yanked both IVs out. Blood was every where. I ended up calling another ambulance that night to go to a different hospitsl
Ah. So you are being called a pedophile by the police, and the hospital staff is saying you are threatening to murder a doctor.

You are being defamed all over the place if what you are saying is true and if what they are saying is false.

I think you were smart to head over to another hospital.

CdwJava

What state did this happen in?

It's also exceedingly unusual - at least out here - that an ambulance will take you from one hospital to another. These are for emergency transports, not to get a ride to the hospital of your choosing. Taking one out of service to simply give you a lift is a HUUUGE and expensive waste of valuable EMS resources and would generally be prohibited! Unless you had the cash or some form of payment to cover the ride, this is something that is simply not done ... at least out here. That makes me curious.

Why were you in the hospital in the first place?

I have seen and heard a great many strange and unusual ramblings come from patients in hospitals INCLUDING threats to kill staff, even by hiring someone to do it. So, I suspect that something you said, or some action you took, gave someone the reason to believe that you had threatened to hire someone to take out a member of the staff. It may have been part of a sickness, mental illness, or the rambling of an alcohol-sodden or drug-addled mind. But, it's not at all likely that someone on the staff just randomly came up with the idea to call the police and claim you said you'd hire a hitman.

Latverian

No, i went home and ended up calling another one that night.

I was admitted to that hospital the night before! I was having good cage pain and numbness..

I had just woke up a couple hrs earlier! My grandmother with there with me the enitree time and left about thirty minutes before this happens

I was in no way under the infuence of anything.

If you read !my other post about the public defender you will see where in was under investigation and was privy to some activities certain. People were doing that should not be disucesse here of anywhere else agaoin. IF YOU GET MY DRIFT!

quincy

No, i went home and ended up calling another one that night.

I was admitted to that hospital the night before! I was having good cage pain and numbness..

I had just woke up a couple hrs earlier! My grandmother with there with me the enitree time and left about thirty minutes before this happens

I was in no way under the infuence of anything.

If you read !my other post about the public defender you will see where in was under investigation and was privy to some activities certain. People were doing that should not be disucesse here of anywhere else agaoin. IF YOU GET MY DRIFT!

CdwJava, this is one of two threads. The other is in the Legal Ethics section. One of the threads will be locked soon.

Latverian, I suggest you pick one thread to add to and we will let the other thread die a natural death. Thank you.

Latverian has said he is in Kentucky.

Latverian

Please the the public defender thread die. Was just wanting to arm myt self with some knowledge for contingency planingh but I don't see that getting brought up in the future.

I was no desire whatsoever to make anyone's life difficult or problematic by bringing up ancient history

Latverian

If I can sue the hospital without the officers getting in any kind of trouble then I plan to do that and just settle out of court at their first offer so that nothing else is brought up.

If that is possible. I spoke to an attorney and he wants to see me as soon as he gets back in town. He just couldn't talk to me when I called him

quincy

Please the the public defender thread die. Was just wanting to arm myt self with some knowledge for contingency planingh but I don't see that getting brought up in the future.

I was no desire whatsoever to make anyone's life difficult or problematic by bringing up ancient history
Okay. If you have any additional comments, then, just add them to this thread.

I think if you were lucid on the night you were in the hospital, and you did not say what it has been claimed you said, a lawyer in your area of Kentucky who is well-versed in defamation law may be interested in hearing your story.

I am not sure you have damages enough to support a legal action, however (although some injury could be presumed).

Latverian

Oh yes, mental anguish and emotional grief for sure.

Having the police tell you in your hospital room that someone that works at that hospital told the police I did a hire for murder.

Who wouldn't get shaken up and rattled.

Latverian

If settling out of court can be achieved without any bad marks or blimishes on the officers I just want to take that offer and move out of Kentucky and let everyone go their separate ways and the dust settle and everyone go back to their own lives with the past forgotten about forever

quincy

Oh yes, mental anguish and emotional grief for sure.

Having the police tell you in your hospital room that someone that works at that hospital told the police I did a hire for murder.

Who wouldn't get shaken up and rattled.
That is certainly something you will want to discuss with the attorney you see in Kentucky. I agree with you that it would be unnerving to hear that while you are being treated in a hospital.

Good luck, Latverian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">