• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

la500

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My wife is a paid employee of a large non-profit girl's service organization. She is also a volunteer for the same organization, co-leading a group of 6 grammar school age girls (including our daughter). Her job is completely distinct and separate from her volunteer activities.

After an overnight out-of-town trip (supervised by my wife and her adult co-leader) one of the girls made an accusation that my wife had physically assaulted her in public during the trip. After the report the father of the girl made wild threats of filing criminal charges against my wife and called the CEO of the organization to demand my wife be fired.

Upon investigation by her employer and "mediation" conducted by the organization the accusation was found to be without merit but the charge was not explicitly withdrawn by the girl's mother. The event was characterized as a "misunderstanding" by the organization.

Subsequently the girl's mother has contacted the other parents in the group and told them that my wife assaulted her child. She has also contacted school administrators and teachers at the school where meetings are held to make the same false accusation and she has repeatedly demanded that my wife be fired. Despite this her daughter continues to attend meetings that my wife leads.

We just want this person to go away and stop threatening my wife's personal and professional standing, but this appears unlikely. What can we do about this?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My wife is a paid employee of a large non-profit girl's service organization. She is also a volunteer for the same organization, co-leading a group of 6 grammar school age girls (including our daughter). Her job is completely distinct and separate from her volunteer activities.

After an overnight out-of-town trip (supervised by my wife and her adult co-leader) one of the girls made an accusation that my wife had physically assaulted her in public during the trip. After the report the father of the girl made wild threats of filing criminal charges against my wife and called the CEO of the organization to demand my wife be fired.

Upon investigation by her employer and "mediation" conducted by the organization the accusation was found to be without merit but the charge was not explicitly withdrawn by the girl's mother. The event was characterized as a "misunderstanding" by the organization.

Subsequently the girl's mother has contacted the other parents in the group and told them that my wife assaulted her child. She has also contacted school administrators and teachers at the school where meetings are held to make the same false accusation and she has repeatedly demanded that my wife be fired. Despite this her daughter continues to attend meetings that my wife leads.

We just want this person to go away and stop threatening my wife's personal and professional standing, but this appears unlikely. What can we do about this?
**A: you can hire a personal attorney to send the girl's parents a cease and decist letter and follow up on a TRO if their actions do not stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">