• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maggie Magoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My daughters boyfriend is posting all over facebook about her being a slut and a bar rat and saying things about me being a slut, posting nude pictures on line and finding men and using them for money - none of the above is true - is there some kind of slander case we can bring against him, we don't care about getting any money - we just want him to stop and leave us alone, this has been going on for a year now. We have blocked him from our profiles, but other mutual friends have sent us what he is saying. Is there anything we can do?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My daughters boyfriend is posting all over facebook about her being a slut and a bar rat and saying things about me being a slut, posting nude pictures on line and finding men and using them for money - none of the above is true - is there some kind of slander case we can bring against him, we don't care about getting any money - we just want him to stop and leave us alone, this has been going on for a year now. We have blocked him from our profiles, but other mutual friends have sent us what he is saying. Is there anything we can do?

My advice is for you to ignore the twit.

Unfortunately, although what he's doing is pathetic you must understand that a defamation suit is ALWAYS about money and defamation suits are incredibly expensive in terms of both time and money.

(3-5 years, $30k-50k)

Failing that you may want to have an attorney send a cease-and-desist letter to him although I still think ignoring him is the way to go.

If the guy still keeps posting nude photos - and I'm assuming these are of your daughter, not you (though it doesn't matter really) - there may be a cause of action for invasion of privacy.

(If he's merely saying that you, she or both of you are posting photos of yourselves nude online yourselves then there'd likely be no cause of action whatsoever - I just want to cover both possibilities :) )

And please, have your friends stop telling you about his shenanigans - he's doing this for attention, and they're feeding into it!

CourtClerk

I wonder how mom knows that there are no nude photos of her daughter somewhere. That's not exactly something you run home and tell your mom about.

My point is this.. at least as to your daughter, you have no idea if some of the things he's saying don't have a ring of truth and if there is any truth to it, then there is no defamation.

Proserpina

So he can keep putting us down and nothing happens?? People let us know because they know why he's doing it....

He's doing it because it gets a reaction!

And "people" need to keep their noses out of other folks' bees wax :)

You COULD always close your social networking site accounts, too.

Maggie Magoo

I wonder how mom knows that there are no nude photos of her daughter somewhere. That's not exactly something you run home and tell your mom about.

My point is this.. at least as to your daughter, you have no idea if some of the things he's saying don't have a ring of truth and if there is any truth to it, then there is no defamation.

He is saying there are nude photos of ME (the mother) online - So i Know that is not true, I also know it is untrue that I am a slut - and I know that of my daughter also.....It's been over a year now, it's just getting old, the more we ignore him the more he posts - he doesn't even know that we know what he is posting - when people tell us we don't comment to them at all either way - we are just tired of it all!

CourtClerk

and I know that of my daughter also.....
Oh stop... my parents thought I was a virgin until I got pregnant (literally). I was GOOD at hiding what I was doing...

Not saying it is true of your daughter, I'm just saying, we can't know everything, all the time. Go apply for restraining orders if it bothers you so much. Not gonna do much, but hey, it'll make you feel better.

Proserpina

He is saying there are nude photos of ME (the mother) online - So i Know that is not true, I also know it is untrue that I am a slut - and I know that of my daughter also.....It's been over a year now, it's just getting old, the more we ignore him the more he posts - he doesn't even know that we know what he is posting - when people tell us we don't comment to them at all either way - we are just tired of it all!

What you may want to do is print off all of the offending articles/statements and show them to a local attorney to see if it rises to the level of harassment; if that's the case you may be able to get a restraining order against the guy.

Please bear in mind though that even if you manage to do this, it probably won't change what's happening.

Now I do have a question.

How "friendly" are these friends of yours if they continue to be "online friends" with a guy like this?

Maggie Magoo

What you may want to do is print off all of the offending articles/statements and show them to a local attorney to see if it rises to the level of harassment; if that's the case you may be able to get a restraining order against the guy.

Please bear in mind though that even if you manage to do this, it probably won't change what's happening.

Now I do have a question.

How "friendly" are these friends of yours if they continue to be "online friends" with a guy like this?

It's a small town - yet not so small - hard to explain - they have all since deleted and blocked him as has our family - but it I am sure he will still continue to post things, he was getting into threats of bodily harm as of last night - we applied for a restraining order this morning - but we know this will only fuel him more.

Maggie Magoo

Oh stop... my parents thought I was a virgin until I got pregnant (literally). I was GOOD at hiding what I was doing...

Not saying it is true of your daughter, I'm just saying, we can't know everything, all the time. Go apply for restraining orders if it bothers you so much. Not gonna do much, but hey, it'll make you feel better.
I know she is not a virgin - but not being a virgin doesnt mean they are sleeping with everyone they meet!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">