• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnnMarie913

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hi. I'm wondering if it's possible for someone to sue people from a game forum? This person says we slandered her and is claiming defamation of character because we called her crazy and we stated we think she might have mental problems. She has her own website, where she posted a blog threatening to curb stomp me and hack MY website, but she never used my name. I posted a screen shot of her blog in the game forum we both belong to and now she says she can sue me for posting it and for defamation of character. I just wonder how she can do this, especially if she doesn't even know my real name.

Proserpina

Hi. I'm wondering if it's possible for someone to sue people from a game forum? This person says we slandered her and is claiming defamation of character because we called her crazy and we stated we think she might have mental problems. She has her own website, where she posted a blog threatening to curb stomp me and hack MY website, but she never used my name. I posted a screen shot of her blog in the game forum we both belong to and now she says she can sue me for posting it and for defamation of character. I just wonder how she can do this, especially if she doesn't even know my real name.

She's bluffing.

Nothing you have said would even come close to supporting a defamation suit and even if it did, she needs to have several years and several tens of THOUSANDS of dollars to bring such a suit.

Ignore her, say nothing else to her and go on with your gaming.

(As a personal note.. well, it's only defamation if it's not true - and I'm not convinced that her having mental problems isn't true!)

quincy

She could sue if what was written about her was false, and she was identified by name or identifiable by content, and she could show the requisite degree of fault (negligence), and her reputation was demonstrably injured as a result of the comments made about her, which can support an award of damages.

To identify her anonymous defamers, however, she would need to subpoena the game forum host for release of account information. To get the subpoena, she essentially has to prove her case to a court, demonstrating to the court that her suit could survive a motion to dismiss. If she cannot prove all elements to the satisfaction of the court, the court will not issue the subpoena. At that point, it is probably smart to give up thoughts of suing - if it was not smarter to do so earlier.

Words like "crazy" and claiming someone has "mental problems" will not, as a rule, be support enough for a defamation claim. These are rather generic insults that are not meant to be taken as true.

I agree with Proserpina that she is probably bluffing. If she is not bluffing and she decides to sue, and on the very outside chance that you are served with a summons and complaint, you should speak with an attorney in your area.

latigo

I hope you are sued; win, lose or draw. Might spur you in the direction where the immature sometimes head to grow up!

quincy

I hope you are sued; win, lose or draw. Might spur you in the direction where the immature sometimes head to grow up!
It doesn't sound like anyone is playing very nicely - those on the game forum or the woman with the blog - but I am not sure that lawsuits make the immature any more mature. Lawsuits just make the immature poorer.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">