• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander and defamation of character?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ch3ef1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. I have recently been told i can no longer enter an establishment because of theft. I have never stolen anything at all from here and there is no proof whatsoever i know. Are these proper grounds for a lawsuite? I was humiliated embarassed and inconvenienced.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. I have recently been told i can no longer enter an establishment because of theft. I have never stolen anything at all from here and there is no proof whatsoever i know. Are these proper grounds for a lawsuite? I was humiliated embarassed and inconvenienced.

What are your actual damages?

Do you have ANY theft arrests, charges or convictions?

davidmcbeth3

Damages may not be needed to be proved if the statement is in respect to felony theft. But there are not enough details to say who or if the OP has a case against.

ch3ef1

Damages..

although i have suffered no damages physically, i feel i have been wrongfully accused. I have never been arrested for any type of theft.

quincy

Humiliation and embarrassment and inconvenience are rarely enough to support a defamation suit.

Why do you suppose you were falsely accused of theft and refused entry? Generally accusations of this sort are not pulled out of thin air.

As a note, a private establishment can (ordinarily) refuse entry and service to anyone.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If they told only you that you can't enter due to theft, then they have not slandered/defamed you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">